Robert Rush Miller
Robert Rush Miller
|Born||April 23, 1916|
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
|Died||February 10, 2003(aged 86)|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
He was born in Colorado Springs, earned his bachelor's degree at University of California, Berkeley in 1938, a master's degree at the University of Michigan in 1943, and a Ph.D. at the University of Michigan in 1944. He received tenure at the University of Michigan in 1954.
Together with W. L. Minckley, he discovered a new species of platyfish, Xiphophorus gordoni, that they named in honor of Dr Myron Gordon. He served as the ichthyological editor of Copeia from 1950 to 1955.
- Chortiheros wesseli R. R. Miller 1996 - Cichlid
- Cualac tessellatus R. R. Miller 1956 - (Checkered Pupfish)
- Cyprinodon albivelis W. L. Minckley & R. R. Miller, 2002 (Whitefin pupfish)
- Cyprinodon alvarezi R. R. Miller, 1976 (Potosi pupfish)
- †Cyprinodon arcuatus W. L. Minckley & R. R. Miller, 2002 (Santa Cruz pupfish)
- Cyprinodon atrorus R. R. Miller, 1968 (Bolson pupfish)
- Cyprinodon bifasciatus R. R. Miller, 1968 (Cuatro Cienegas pupfish)
- Cyprinodon eremus R. R. Miller & Fuiman, 1987 (Sonoyta pupfish)
- Cyprinodon fontinalis M. L. Smith & R. R. Miller, 1980 (Carbonera pupfish)
- Cyprinodon labiosus Humphries & R. R. Miller, 1981 (Thicklip pupfish)
- Cyprinodon laciniatus C. L. Hubbs & R. R. Miller, 1942 (Bahama pupfish)
- Cyprinodon macrolepis R. R. Miller, 1976 (Largescale pupfish)
- Cyprinodon maya Humphries & R. R. Miller, 1981 (Maya pupfish)
- Cyprinodon meeki R. R. Miller, 1976 (Mezquital pupfish)
- Cyprinodon nazas R. R. Miller, 1976 (Nazas pupfish)
- Cyprinodon nevadensis amargosae R. R. Miller, 1948 (Amargosa River pupfish)
- †Cyprinodon nevadensis calidae R. R. Miller, 1948 (Tecopa pupfish)
- Cyprinodon nevadensis mionectes R. R. Miller, 1948 (Ash Meadows pupfish)
- Cyprinodon nevadensis pectoralis R. R. Miller, 1948 (Warm Springs pupfish)
- Cyprinodon nevadensis shoshone R. R. Miller, 1948 (Shoshone pupfish)
- Cyprinodon pisteri R. R. Miller & W. L. Minckley, 2002 (Palomas pupfish)
- Cyprinodon radiosus R. R. Miller, 1948 (Owens pupfish)
- Cyprinodon salinus R. R. Miller, 1943
- Cyprinodon salinus salinus R. R. Miller, 1943 (Death Valley pupfish, Salt Creek pupfish)
- Cyprinodon simus Humphries & R. R. Miller, 1981 (Boxer pupfish)
- Cyprinodon tularosa R. R. Miller & A. A. Echelle, 1975 (White Sands pupfish)
- Xiphophorus gordoni Miller and Minckley 1963
- Miller, Robert R. and Minckley, W. L. (1963) "Xiphophorus gordoni, A New Species of Platyfish from Coahuila, Mexico" Copeia 1963(3): pp. 538–546
- Lagler, Karl Frank; Bardach, John E. and Miller, Robert Rush (1962) Ichthyology University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, OCLC 61070182 (textbook)
- Miller, Robert Rush, Wendell L. Minckley, and Steven Mark Norris. Freshwater fishes of Mexico. University of Chicago Press, 2005.
- Hubbs, C. L., and R. R. Miller. 1948. The Great Basin with emphasis on glacial and postglacial times. II. The zoological evidence. Univ. Utah Bull. 38:17-166
- Miller, Robert Rush. Man and the changing fish fauna of the American Southwest. Michigan Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters, 1961.
- Miller, R.R. 1972. Threatened Freshwater Fishes of the United States. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 101, 239–252.
- Smith, G. R. (2004) "Biography of Dr Robert "Bob" Miller" Desert Fishes Council
- Frances M. Cashner, Gerald R. Smith, and Robert C. Cashner (2003) Robert Rush Miller and Frances Hubbs Miller, 2003 Copeia Vol. 2003, pp. 910–916.