Robert S. Coleman
Robert S. Coleman is an American chemistry professor and researcher.
Coleman was a faculty member at both Ohio State University and the University of South Carolina. At Ohio State, he was on the faculty in the Department of Chemistry from 1996 to 2012, having moved to Ohio State as an associate professor from the University of South Carolina. At USC, Coleman taught as assistant professor from 1989 to 1995, and then as associate professor (with tenure) from 1995 to 1996. In 1996, he accepted a faculty position at Ohio State University to teach Organic Chemistry, where he was an associate professor from 1996 until 2000. He was promoted to full professor in 2000, teaching Organic Chemistry up until his retirement in 2012. Coleman is nationally and internationally recognized as a leading practitioner in the field of synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry, and as a collaborator in a number of multidisciplinary research programs. He received his Ph.D. degree working with Professor Dale L. Boger (then at Purdue), completing the first total synthesis of the antitumor agent CC-1065. He was subsequently an NIH postdoctoral fellow at Yale University with Professor Samuel J. Danishefsky, where he completed (with M. Paz Cabal), the first total synthesis of the aglycone of the antitumor agent calicheamicin.
Coleman's independent research contributions include:
- Accomplished the first total chemical synthesis of the novel antitumor agent azinomycin A 
- Developed the first synthesis of DNA containing sulfur-bearing nucleosides 
- Developed the first stereocontrolled total synthesis of the kinase inhibitor calphostin A 
- Developed the first computer generated model of an azinomycin B/DNA crosslink 
- Developed the first fluorescent probe for studying ultrafast DNA dynamics 
- Published the first comprehensive study of the DNA binding properties of azinomycin B 
- Developed a novel hetero-bis-metallated butadiene for the synthesis of polyene natural products, including the first total synthesis of the antitumor agent lucilactaene  and 2'-O-methylmyxalamide D.
- Boger, Dale L.; Coleman, Robert S. (1988). "Total synthesis of (±)-N2-(phenylsulfonyl)-CPI, (±)-CC-1065, (+)-CC-1065, ent-(−)-CC-1065, and the precise, functional agents (±)-CPI-CDPI2, (+)-CPI-CDPI2, and (−)-CPI-CDPI2 \(±)-(3bR*,4aS*)-, (+)-(3bR,4aS)-, and (−)-(3bS,4aR)-deoxy-CC-1065". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 110 (14): 4796. doi:10.1021/ja00222a043.
- Cabal, Maria Paz; Coleman, Robert S.; Danishefsky, Samuel J. (1990). "Total synthesis of calicheamicinone: A solution to the problem of the elusive urethane". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 112 (8): 3253. doi:10.1021/ja00164a079.
- Coleman, Robert S.; Li, Jing; Navarro, Antonio (2001). "Total Synthesis of Azinomycin A". Angewandte Chemie. 113 (9): 1786. doi:10.1002/1521-3757(20010504)113:9<1786::AID-ANGE17860>3.0.CO;2-I.
- Coleman, Robert S.; Siedlecki, James M. (1992). "Synthesis of a 4-thio-2'-deoxyuridine containing oligonucleotide. Development of the thiocarbonyl group as a linker element". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 114 (23): 9229. doi:10.1021/ja00049a089.
- Coleman, Robert S.; Grant, Eugene B. (1995). "Synthesis of Helically Chiral Molecules: Stereoselective Total Synthesis of the Perylenequinones Phleichrome and Calphostin A". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 117 (44): 10889. doi:10.1021/ja00149a012.
- Alcaro, Stefano; Ortuso, Francesco; Coleman, Robert S. (2002). "DNA Cross-Linking by Azinomycin B: Monte Carlo Simulations in the Evaluation of Sequence Selectivity". Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 45 (4): 861–70. doi:10.1021/jm011040w. PMID 11831897.
- Coleman, Robert S.; Madaras, Mihaela L. (1998). "Synthesis of a Novel Coumarin C-Riboside as a Photophysical Probe of Oligonucleotide Dynamics". The Journal of Organic Chemistry. 63 (16): 5700. doi:10.1021/jo980478.
- Coleman, Robert S.; Perez, Ronelito J.; Burk, Christopher H.; Navarro, Antonio (2002). "Studies on the Mechanism of Action of Azinomycin B: Definition of Regioselectivity and Sequence Selectivity of DNA Cross-Link Formation and Clarification of the Role of the Naphthoate". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 124 (44): 13008–17. doi:10.1021/ja025563k. PMID 12405827.
- Coleman, Robert S.; Walczak, Matthew C. (2005). "Tandem Stille/Suzuki−Miyaura Coupling of a Hetero-Bis-metalated Diene. Rapid, One-Pot Assembly of Polyene Systems". Organic Letters. 7 (11): 2289–91. doi:10.1021/ol050768u. PMID 15901191.
- Coleman, Robert S.; Walczak, Matthew C.; Campbell, Erica L. (2005). "Total Synthesis of Lucilactaene, A Cell Cycle Inhibitor Active in p53-Inactive Cells". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 127 (46): 16038–9. doi:10.1021/ja056217g. PMID 16287286.
- Coleman, Robert S.; Lu, Xiaoling; Modolo, Isabelle (2007). "Total Synthesis of 2'-O-Methylmyxalamide D and (6E)-2'-O-Methylmyxalamide D". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 129 (13): 3826–7. doi:10.1021/ja070265e. PMID 17358066.