Robert Sedgewick (computer scientist)
This article has an unclear citation style.Learn how and when to remove this template message)(February 2015) (
|Born||December 20, 1946|
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Awards||ACM Fellow (1997)|
Brown University (1975–85)
|Doctoral advisor||Donald Knuth|
Sedgewick was the founding Chairman (1985) of the Department of Computer Science at Princeton University and is currently still a Professor of Computer Science at Princeton. He was a visiting researcher at Xerox PARC, Institute for Defense Analyses and INRIA.
He along with Leo J Guibas came up with the highly popular data structure Red–black tree in their paper A dichromatic framework for balanced trees in 1978 by adapting the work of Rudolf Bayer. In 1997, Robert Sedgewick was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery for his seminal work in the mathematical analysis of algorithms and pioneering research in algorithm animation.
Robert Sedgewick is the author of a well-known book series Algorithms, published by Addison-Wesley. The first edition of the book was published in 1983 and contained code in Pascal. Subsequent editions used C, C++, Modula-3, and Java.
Together with Philippe Flajolet, he wrote several books and preprints which promoted analytic combinatorics, a discipline which relies on the use of generating functions and complex analysis in order to enumerate combinatorial structures, and to study their asymptotic properties. As explained by Knuth in The Art of Computer Programming, this is the key to perform average case analysis of algorithms.
- Sedgewick, Robert (1980). Quicksort. Garland Publishing, Inc. ISBN 0-8240-4417-7.
- Sedgewick, Robert (1983). Algorithms (1st ed.). Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-201-06672-6.
- Flajolet, Philippe; Sedgewick, Robert (1995). An Introduction to the Analysis of Algorithms. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 978-0-201-40009-0.
- Sedgewick, Robert; Wayne, Kevin (2007). An Introduction to Programming in Java: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 978-0-321-49805-2.
- Flajolet, Philippe; Sedgewick, Robert (2009). Analytic Combinatorics. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-89806-5.
- Sedgewick, Robert; Wayne, Kevin (2011). Algorithms (4th ed.). Addison-Wesley Professional. ISBN 978-0-321-57351-3.
- Sedgewick, Robert; Wayne, Kevin (2015). An Introduction to Programming in Python: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 978-0134076430.
- Sedgewick, Robert; Wayne, Kevin (2016). Computer Science: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 978-0134076423.
- Robert Sedgewick's homepage at Princeton
- Robert Sedgewick at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Forbes : Profile of Director at Adobe Systems Inc."
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-05. Retrieved 2014-09-21.
- http://fellows.acm.org/fellow_citation.cfm?id=1183631&srt=all[permanent dead link]