This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robert H. Serry (born c. 1950 in Kolkata) is a Dutch diplomat who served as the United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process and the UN Secretary-General’s Personal Representative to the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Palestinian Authority from 2007 to 2015.
A career diplomat, Serry has served in a variety of diplomatic positions for his country’s foreign service.
He was the Dutch ambassador to Ireland and has served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary-General for Crisis Management and Operations at the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). He has been posted to Moscow and New York (United Nations), and was the first Dutch ambassador to Kiev, Ukraine. Following his Ukrainian posting Serry wrote a book about his experiences as an ambassador there, titled Standplaats Kiev, available in the Dutch and Ukrainian languages.
In early March 2014 he was sent to Crimea, Ukraine, to mediate the conflict between Russia and Ukraine, where he was held up by armed guards and was forced to abandon his mission. Mr. Serry's appointment to the mediator role had been foreshadowed in a telephone conversation in February between Victoria Nuland, Undersecretary of State for Europe and Eurasian Affairs, and Geoff Pyatt, U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, on the subject of which political figures should form the next government of Ukraine.
Education and personal
Serry is married and has three children.
- Serry, Robert. Standplaats Kiev. Nederlands eerste ambassadeur in Oekraine. Podium. 1997, 1e druk.
- "OSZE-Beobachter sollen Lage auf der Krim sondieren". Deutsche Welle. 5 March 2014.
- "UN envoy threatened at gunpoint in Crimea". The Age. 6 March 2014.
- Ukraine crisis: Transcript of leaked Nuland-Pyatt call, BBC
- "Robert Serry on BBC HardTalk". BBC. 18 May 2009. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "Secretary-General appoints Robert H. Serry of Netherlands United Nations special co-ordinate for Middle East peace process". United Nations. 4 December 2007. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "Secretary-General names Robert Serry of the Netherlands as Middle East envoy". United Nations. 29 November 2007. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
| UN Sec. Gen. Special Representative to the Middle East