Robert Shetterly (born in 1946 in Cincinnati, Ohio) is an American artist. Shetterly is best known for his portrait series, "Americans Who Tell the Truth," a project begun in response to U.S. government actions following the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Towers in New York City. Shetterly undertook the project as a way to deal with his own grief and anger by painting Americans who inspired him. He initially intended to paint only 50 portraits, but by 2013 more than 180 portraits were included in the series. Portions of the series tour widely across the United States, being shown in schools, museums, libraries, galleries and other public spaces.
A book titled "Americans Who Tell the Truth," written and illustrated by Shetterly, was published by Dutton Juvenile Press in 2005 and reviewed favorably by Kirkus. It won the International Reading Association's Intermediate—Nonfiction award for 2006, and the nonprofit Children's Book Council listed it among the "2006 Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People," saying it is "sure to inspire debate and further research.". The book also met with criticism. Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz reviewed it for FrontPage Magazine in 2005, calling it a “revolting” and “seductive picture book” whose “propaganda” was “a form of literary child abuse.”  Shetterly responded to Dershowitz's attack in the same publication.
- "The Artist". Americans Who Tell The Truth. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Artist Robert Shetterly to speak in Pittsfield — Mid-Maine — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine". Bangordailynews.com. 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "'Truth' Exhibit Opens at Ali Center". WFPL. 2012-08-28. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Hornsby, Robert (2005-07-21). "Columbia News ::: Panel Considers 'Your Truth, My Truth, The Truth'". Columbia.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "Exhibit Information - SUNY Cortland". .cortland.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "LVC Hosts Illustrator, Painter, Humanitarian Robert Shetterly, Visiting Woodrow Wilson Fellow". Lvc.edu. 2010-04-18. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Clanton, Ben. "AMERICANS WHO TELL THE TRUTH by Robert Shetterly, Robert Shetterly | Kirkus". Kirkusreviews.com. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "IRA Children's and Young Adult's Book Awards". Reading.org. Archived from the original on 2013-08-04. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "2006 Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People" (PDF).
- Beem, EdgarAllen (November–December 2011). "Art as Activism". Art NewEngland: 46.
- http://voiceseducation.org/content/truth-robert-shetterly-artist. Retrieved 10 April 2016. Missing or empty
- Americans Who Tell The Truth: Models of Courageous Citizenship
- Rivera Sun & Sherri Mitchell (March 30, 2016). "Americans Who Tell The Truth - Art and Education As Resistance". Love (and Revolution) Radio. podomatic. Retrieved March 19, 2017.