Robert Sinclair MacKay
Robert Sinclair MacKay
4 July 1956
|Thesis||Renormalisation in area preserving maps (1982)|
Robert Sinclair MacKay (born 1956) FRS FInstP FIMA is a British mathematician and professor at the University of Warwick. He researches into dynamical systems, the calculus of variations, Hamiltonian dynamics, and applications to complex systems in physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, and economics.
MacKay was educated at Newcastle High School, leaving in 1974. He completed his Bachelor of Arts degree with first class honours in mathematics at Trinity College, Cambridge in 1977, and completed Part III of the tripos with distinction in 1978. He obtained his PhD in astrophysical sciences in 1982 from the Plasma Physics Laboratory at Princeton University for research supervised by John M. Greene and Martin David Kruskal.
Career and research
Between 1982 and 1995, MacKay held postdoctoral research positions at Queen Mary College, London, the Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques, and the University of Warwick. From 1995 to 2000 he was Professor of Nonlinear Dynamics in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at the University of Cambridge, Director of the Nonlinear Centre, and Fellow of Trinity College. In 2000 he returned to Warwick as Professor of Mathematics and Director of Mathematical Interdisciplinary Research.
Awards and honours
MacKay was awarded the Stefanos Pnevmatikos International Award in 1992. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2000. In 2012 he was elected President of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
MacKay was born to Donald MacCrimmon MacKay and Valerie MacKay (née Wood) in 1956. His younger brother David J. C. MacKay FRS was the Regius Professor of Engineering at the University of Cambridge.
- "MacKAY, Prof. Robert Sinclair". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2016 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- "Curriculum Vitae: Robert Sinclair MacKay" (PDF). University of Warwick. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 March 2016.
- "Professor Robert MacKay FRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
"All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License." --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Robert Sinclair MacKay at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- An interview with Robert MacKay, CIM Bulletin 31, 15–18, 2012, by J Lopes Dias
- MacKay, Robert Sinclair (1982). Renormalisation in area preserving maps (PhD thesis). Princeton University. OCLC 18798421. ProQuest 303253194.
- "Recipients". University of Crete. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "IMA Council". Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|