|Robert E. Svoboda|
Svoboda in 2008
|Born||1953 (age 62–63)
Texas, United States
|Occupation||Author, ayurvedic doctor|
Robert Edwin Svoboda (born 1953) is an American writer and ayurvedic doctor who gives lectures and courses around the world, related to the subjects of ayurveda, jyotish, tantra and Eastern religion. He is author of twelve books, including Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution (1989), and the Aghora trilogy (1986, 1993, 1997) about his mentor, the Aghori Vimalananda, and the Aghori sect.
Early life and education
Dr. Svoboda graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 1972 with a B.S. (major in Chemistry, minor in French). In 1973, he moved to India and stayed on for another ten years. During this time he met his mentor Vimalananda and joined Tilak Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, an ayuvedic college in Pune. In 1980, he graduated from Pune University with a Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS), receiving the title Ayurvedacharya. Author and ayurvedic physician Dr. Vasant Lad was one of his teachers there.
During and after his formal ayurvedic training he was tutored in ayurveda, yoga, jyotish, tantra and allied subjects by his mentor, Vimalananda. Dr. Svoboda also served as Vimalananda's authorized racing agent (thoroughbred horses) at the Royal Western India Turf Club in Mumbai and Pune between 1975 and 1985. He lived in India between 1973 and 1980 and again between 1982 and 1986.
Grants and awards
Dr. Svoboda received both the National Merit Scholarship and University of Oklahoma Merit Scholarship in 1970; the U.S. Office of Education Scholarship in 1973; National Endowment for the Humanities Youthgrant in 1975; and the Marsden Foundation Grant in 1978.
Since 1985, Dr. Svoboda has traveled the world lecturing, consulting, teaching and writing. He has served as adjunct faculty at the Ayurvedic Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Dinacharya Institute, New York, New York, and Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington. Dr. Svoboda authored the new entry on ayurveda for Encyclopædia Britannica, 2000. He sits as an advisor for the National Ayurvedic Medical Association.
- Aghora: At the Left Hand of God. Brotherhood of Life. 1986. ISBN 0-914732-21-8.
- Aghora II: Kundalini. Brotherhood of Life. 1993. ISBN 0-914732-31-5.
- Ayurveda: Life, Health, and Longevity. Penguin. 1993. ISBN 1-883725-09-7.
- Tao and Dharma: Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda. With Lade, Arnie (co-author) (1st ed.). Lotus Press. 1995. ISBN 0-914955-21-7.
- Hidden Secret of Ayurveda. Ayurvedic Press. 1996. ISBN 1-883725-04-6.
- Aghora III: The Law of Karma. Brotherhood of Life. 1997. ISBN 0-914732-37-4.
- The Greatness of Saturn (2nd ed.). Lotus Press. 1997. ISBN 1-57178-032-7.
- Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution (2nd revised ed.). Lotus Press. 1998. ISBN 81-208-1185-2.
- Ayurveda for Women: A Guide to Vitality and Health. Healing Arts Press. 2000. ISBN 1-899434-14-3.
- Light on Relationships: The Synastry of Indian Astrology. With de Fouw, Hart (co-author). Weiser Books. 2000. ISBN 1-57863-148-3.
- Light on Life: An Introduction to the Astrology of India. With de Fouw, Hart (co-author) (New ed.). Lotus Press. 2003. ISBN 0-14-019507-6.
- Vastu: Breathing Life into Space. With Moses, Satya (contributor) (1st ed.). Dublin: Namarupa Publications. 2013. ISBN 0988916908.
- Hammond, Holly (August 28, 2007). "Meet the Innovators: Robert Svoboda". Yoga Journal. Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- Svoboda, Robert E. "Divine Fury: Recollections of a Renegade Guru". DrSvoboda.com. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- Svoboda, Robert. "Curriculum Vitae". DrSvoboda.com. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- Svoboda, Robert (1993). Ayurveda: Life, Health, and Longevity. Penguin. ISBN 1-883725-09-7.
- Deife, Julie (January–February 2003). "Sitting Down With Dr. Robert E. Svoboda". LA Yoga. 2 (1). Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- Morton, Colleen (August 28, 2007). "Interview with Robert Svoboda". Yoga Journal. Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "Board of Advisors". Ayurvedanama.org. National Ayurvedic Medical Association. Retrieved March 15, 2015.