Robert Walter (musician)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robert Walter in New Orleans 2017
|Birth name||Robert Shaun Walter|
|Origin||San Diego, US|
|Genres||Jazz, Funk, Soul Jazz|
|Instruments||Hammond B3 organ, piano, keyboards, sythesizers|
|Labels||Royal Potato Family, Fog City Records|
|Associated acts||Robert Walter's 20th Congress, The Greyboy Allstars, VW Duo, Creedle, Stanton Moore Trio, Mike Gordon|
Robert Walter (born May 3, 1970) is a keyboard player specializing in instrumental soul jazz on the Hammond B3 organ. He is best known as a founding (and current) member of The Greyboy Allstars, Creedle, (an American post-hardcore and alternative rock band from San Diego), and his own band, Robert Walter's 20th Congress.
A founding member of The Greyboy Allstars, Walter, splits his time between 20th Congress, The Greyboy Allstars and a robust film soundtrack career. He has performed and recorded with heavyweights like Fred Wesley, Gary Bartz, Skerik, Melvin Sparks, Andy Bey, Reuben Wilson, Harvey Mason, Red Holloway, Chuck Rainey, Phil Upchurch, Mike Clark, Johnny Vidacovich, Mike Gordon and Steve Kimock.
In 1999, six years into The Greyboy Allstars, Walter formed Robert Walter's 20th Congress, which featured Robert on electric piano and Hammond B3 organ, Dap-Kings Cochemea Gastelum on alto sax, electric sax and flute, Chris Stillwell on bass and Stanton Moore on drums. 20th Congress released their debut full-length recording Money Shot on San Francisco's Fog City Records in 2000.
Walter moved from his native San Diego to New Orleans in 2003, and subsequently reunited with producer Dan Prothero to record Super Heavy Organ with local legends Johnny Vidacovich, James Singleton, Tim Green, and Stanton Moore.
In Spring of 2013, The Greyboy Allstars released Inland Emperor, their first album since 2007's What Happened to Television? A move from New Orleans to Los Angeles jump-started Robert Walter's 20th Congress once again. He released Get Thy Bearings, which pushed Walter's organ, piano, Rhodes and synthesizer to the front of a group rounded out by guitarist/bassist Elgin Park, drummer Aaron Redfield, sax players Karl Denson and Cochemea Gastelum, and percussionist Chuck Prada. Recorded in just a few takes at Elgonix Labs - the same studio where Walter has lent his skills to Get Thy Bearings producer Michael Andrews' film scores and productions. Since returning to LA, recording film scores has widened the conceptual palate of Walters' work.
"A lot of modern music is over-considered, but if you fix every little edge there's no mystery. We didn’t monkey around too much, just indulged in our musicalness." It's the same commitment that has made Walter such a live force. The current 20th Congress touring line-up include Simon Lott, Chris Alford, and Victor Little. In April 2015, it was announced that Robert would be joining Phish's Mike Gordon as his keyboard/organ player.
- Spirit Of '70 - Greyboy Records, 1996 [with Gary Bartz]
- Health And Fitness [EP] - Fog City Records, 1999 [with The 20th Congress]
- Money Shot - Fog City Records, 2000 [with The 20th Congress]
- There Goes The Neighborhood - Premonition Records/EMI, 2001 [solo album]
- Giving Up The Ghost - Magna Carta Records, 2003 [with The 20th Congress]
- Super Heavy Organ - Magna Carta Records, 2005 [solo album]
- Cure All - Palmetto Records, 2008 [solo album]
- Get Thy Bearings - Royal Potato Family Records, 2013 [with The 20th Congress]
- Spacesuit - Royal Potato Family Records, 2018 [with The 20th Congress]
- The Clinton Administration - Magna Carta Records, 2004 (with The Clinton Administration)
- III - Stanton Moore - Telarc Records, 2006 (with Will Bernard)
- Emphasis! (On Parenthesis) - Stanton Moore - Telarc, 2008 (with Will Bernard)
- Back to the River - Susan Tedeschi - Verve Forecast Records/UMe 2008
- Mo Beauty - Alec Ounsworth - ANTI/Epitaph Records, 2009
- American Patchwork - Anders Osborne - Alligator Records, 2010
- Groove Alchemy - Stanton Moore - Telarc, 2010 (with Will Bernard)
- Overstep - Mike Gordon - ATO Records, 2014
- OGOGO - Mike Gordon - ATO Records, 2017
With The Greyboy Allstars
- West Coast Boogaloo - Greyboy Records, 1995 (with Fred Wesley)
- A Town Called Earth - Greyboy Records, 1997
- GBA Live - Relaxed Records/ADA, 1999
- What Happened to Television? - SCI Fidelity Records, 2007
- Inland Emperor - Knowledge Room Recordings, 2013
- Half Man Half Pie - Cargo Music/Headhunter Records, 1992
- Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars - Cargo Music/Headhunter Records, 1994
- When the Wind Blows - Cargo Music/Headhunter Records, 1996
- Bad Radio - Cargo Music/Headhunter Records
- Wickstrom, Ann. "Robert Walter: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- liner notes