Robert Watson (computer scientist)
Robert Watson in 2008
3 May 1977 |
|Institutions||Cambridge Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge
St John's College, Cambridge
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University
Wolfson College, Cambridge
|Thesis||New approaches to operating system security extensibility (2011)|
|Doctoral advisor||Ross Anderson|
|Known for||contributions to FreeBSD, TrustedBSD, OpenBSM|
Robert Nicholas Maxwell Watson (born 3 May 1977) is a FreeBSD developer, and founder of the TrustedBSD Project. He is currently employed as a University Lecturer in Systems, Security, and Architecture in the Security Research Group at the University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory.
Watson graduated in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University and has attained a PhD from University of Cambridge. As well as Cambridge, he has worked at the National Institutes of Health, Carnegie Mellon University, Trusted Information Systems, Network Associates, McAfee, and SPARTA. He obtained a PhD in computer security from the University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, supervised by Ross Anderson and sponsored by Google.
Watson's work has been supported by DARPA, Apple Computer, the Navy, and other U.S. government agencies. His main research interests are network security and operating system security. His main open source software contributions include his work in developing the multi-threaded and multi-processor FreeBSD network stack, the TrustedBSD project, and OpenBSM. His writing has been featured in forums such as ACM's Queue Magazine, the USENIX Annual Technical Conference, BSDCon, and a Slashdot interview. He was also a FreeBSD Core Team member from 2000–2012.
- Murphy, S.; Lewis, E.; Puga, R.; Watson, R.; Yee, R. (2001). "Strong security for active networks". 2001 IEEE Open Architectures and Network Programming Proceedings. OPENARCH 2001 (Cat. No.01EX484). p. 63. doi:10.1109/OPNARC.2001.916839. ISBN 0-7803-7064-3.
- Watson, R. N. M.; Anderson, J.; Laurie, B.; Kennaway, K. (2012). "A taste of Capsicum". Communications of the ACM 55 (3): 97. doi:10.1145/2093548.2093572.
- Watson, R. N. M. (2013). "A decade of OS access-control extensibility". Communications of the ACM 56 (2): 52. doi:10.1145/2408776.2408792.
- List of publications from Google Scholar
- Clayton, R.; Murdoch, S. J.; Watson, R. N. M. (2006). "Ignoring the Great Firewall of China". Privacy Enhancing Technologies. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4258. p. 20. doi:10.1007/11957454_2. ISBN 978-3-540-68790-0.
- FreeBSD Week: Interview with Robert Watson. OS News, 2002-01-29
- http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/news/2013/05/two-new-lectureships-announced/ Announcement of Lectureship
- http://dl.acm.org/author_page.cfm?id=81328490800 Robert Watson's ACM author page
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Watson, Robert Nicholas Maxwell (2011). New approaches to operating system security extensibility (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- Kamp, P. H.; Watson, R. (2004). "Building Systems to Be Shared, Securely". Queue 2 (5): 42. doi:10.1145/1016998.1017001.
- Robert Watson on FreeBSD and TrustedBSD, Slashdot, 2001-01-18
- FreeBSD Core Team Alumni, 2012-07-20