Robert Were Fox the Elder
Robert Were Fox (5 July 1754 – 1818) was a Quaker businessman who lived in Falmouth.
Life and work
Fox was born in Fowey, Cornwall, in the United Kingdom, and married Elizabeth Tregelles (1768–1849) in 1788. The couple had six sons, including Charles Fox of Trebah, Robert Were Fox FRS of Penjerrick Garden and Alfred Fox of Glendurgan. Their daughter, Mariana Fox (1807–1863), married Francis Tuckett of Frenchay and became the mother of the mountaineer Francis Fox Tuckett. Their daughter, Charlotte born in 1799, married Samuel Fox of Tottenham.
The family were Quakers, descended from George Fox of Fowey and his wife, Anna Debell. Robert Were Fox was the son of their son, George Croker Fox, and his wife, Mary Were. It was George Croker Fox who founded a Falmouth ship-brokering business, which survived into the 21st century.
During the time Robert Were Fox ran the family's ship-brokering business, family business interests expanded into copper-mining, tin-smelting and foundry-work in partnership with the Williams family. In 1794 R. W. Fox was appointed Consul (Diplomatic Representative) by the United States of America for the port of Falmouth.
Notes and references
- Philip Payton, ‘Fox, Robert Were (1754–1818)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, Sept 2004; online edn, Jan 2008 accessed 13 Jan 2009
- "Mariana Tuckett nee Fox". Winterbourne Family History Online. Frenchay Village Museum. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- "Francis Fox Tuckett". Winterbourne Family History Online. Frenchay Village Museum. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- Annual Monitor 1879 p.68-78, available online at The Internet Archive.
- Pages 26/27 of Barclay Fox's Journal
- Norway, Arthur H. The Post-Office Packet service: between the years 1793 and 1815, compiled from records, chiefly official. London: Macmillan. pp. 197–221.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography article by Philip Payton Fox, Robert Were (1754–1818)
- ODNB article by Denise Crook, Fox, Robert Were (1789–1877) accessed 3 Aug 2006
- ODNB article by G. C. Boase, Fox, Charles (1797–1878), revised by Justin Brooke, accessed 6 Aug 2006]
- Fox, Robert Barclay (1979). ed. by Raymond Brett, ed. Barclay Fox's journal. London: Bell and Hyman. ISBN 0-7135-1865-0. and U.S. edition:
- Fox, Robert Barclay (1979). ed. by Raymond Brett, ed. Barclay Fox's journal. Totowa, N.J.: Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 0-8476-6187-3. Barclay Fox was R. W. Fox the Elder's grandson. Pages cited above are from the Introductory essay by R. L. Brett
|This Quaker-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Cornwall article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|