|This section does not cite any sources. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Born in Miami Beach, Florida, but raised in Fresno, California with his six siblings. Westenberg graduated Bullard High School in 1971, where he was active in sports, specifically football. He then attended California State University, Fresno.
He made his Broadway debut in the 1983 revival of Zorba as Nikos, for which he won the Theatre World Award. He took over the role of George in Stephen Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George in September 1984, and played opposite Bernadette Peters. He received a Tony Award nomination and won a Drama Desk Award for his performance as Cinderella's Prince and the Wolf in Sondheim's Into the Woods (1987). It was during this show where he met his wife, Kim Crosby, who played Cinderella. He starred with Mandy Patinkin, Daisy Eagan, Alison Fraser and Rebecca Luker in the original Broadway production of The Secret Garden in 1991.
Television and film credits
Westenberg's film credits include Mr. & Mrs. Bridge and The Ice Storm. He has made guest appearances on Third Watch, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and the short-lived series Aliens in the Family. He played Prince Raymond on the soap opera, One Life to Live from 1989-90.
Westenberg was in the national tour of The Full Monty in 2002. Westenberg has been in several MUNY productions. He played Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady in 2001 opposite his wife, Kim Crosby, as Eliza Doolittle.
He played the roles of both Mr. Darling and Captain Hook in the St. Louis MUNY production of Peter Pan in July 2007. He reprised these roles in another production in Branson, Missouri with Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan.
Additional Broadway credits
- Sunday in the Park with George
- Les Misérables
- Into the Woods
- The Secret Garden
- Abe Lincoln in Illinois
- Professor Henry Higgins (My Fair Lady; 2008)
- Captain Hook and Mr. Darling (Peter Pan; 2007)
- Mr. Brownlow (Oliver!; 2006)
- Captain Georg von Trapp (The Sound of Music; 2005)
- Professor Henry Higgins (My Fair Lady; 2001) (with Kim Crosby)
- Captain Georg von Trapp (The Sound of Music; 2000)
- John Adams (1776; 1999)
- The King (The King and I; 1999)
Westenberg lives with his wife, daughters Emily and Katherine, and son Joel in Springfield, Missouri, where he is musical theatre coordinator and associate professor in the theatre and dance department at Missouri State University. He was previously chair of the theatre program at Drury University. 
- "Robert Westenberg Bio" masterworksbroadway.com, accessed July 2016
- " Zorba, Broadway 1983" Playbill (vault), accessed July 27, 2016
- " Sunday in the Park with George Broadway 1984" Playbill (vault), accessed July 27, 2016
- " Into the Woods Broadway 1987" Playbill (vault), accessed July 27, 2016
- Culwell, Logan. "Did They Finish the Hat? Where Are the Stars of 'Sunday in the Park with George' Now?" Playbill, May 12, 2015
- " The Secret Garden Broadway 1991" Playbill (vault), accessed July 27, 2016
- , 2002 Interview with Robert Westenberg.
- Playbill News: Westenberg, Dean, Probst, Jue and More Set for Muny Peter Pan
- Gans, Andrew. "He's Flying: Francis Jue Is 'Peter Pan' at the Muny Beginning July 16" Playbill, July 16, 2007
- Jones, Kenneth. Westenberg and Crosby Spar in The Muny's 'My Fair Lady,' July 30-Aug. 5" Playbill, July 30, 2001
- "Award-winning actor to lead MSU’s musical theatre program" missouristate.edu, February 1, 2016
- " 'INTO THE WOODS' Tony Nominee Robert Westenberg Joins MSU Faculty" broadwayworld.com, February 2, 2016
- Gordon, David. "5 Facts We Learned About 'Into the Woods' During the Original-Cast Reunion" theatermania.com, June 22, 2015