Robert Winter (born 1924 ) is one of California's leading architectural historians. He is the Arthur G. Coons Professor of the History of Ideas, Emeritus, at Occidental College, Los Angeles. He is particularly known for his contributions to the history of the California branch of the Arts and Crafts Movement.
Winter was born in Indianapolis. He received his undergraduate degree (A.B.) from Dartmouth College and his Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University. Early in his career he taught at Dartmouth, at Bowdoin, and at the University of California, Los Angeles. He joined the faculty at Occidental in 1963 and retired in 1994.
Winter is the author of numerous books including The California Bungalow (1980) and American Bungalow Style (1996). With David Gebhard he co-authored guides to architecture in northern and southern California.
In 2007, Winter was made a Fellow the Society of Architectural Historians.
- Winter, Robert (photographs by Alex Vertikoff), American Bungalow Style, Simon & Schuster, New York 1996, ISBN 0-684-80168-X
- Winter, Robert (photographs by Alex Vertikoff), The Architecture of Entertainment: L.A. in the Twenties, Gibbs Smith Publisher, Salt Lake City 2006, ISBN 1-58685-797-5
- Winter, Robert, Batchelder: Tilemaker, Balcony Press, Los Angeles 1999, ISBN 1-890449-03-2
- Winter, Robert, The California Bungalow, Hennessey & Ingalls, Los Angeles 1980, ISBN 0-912158-85-9
- Winter, Robert (photographs by Alex Vertikoff), Craftsman Style, Harry N. Abrams Publishers, New York 2004, ISBN 0-8109-4336-0
- Andersen, Tim, Moore, Eudorha M. and Winter, Robert, editors, California Design 1910, Peregrine Smith, Santa Barbara 1980, ISBN 0-87905-055-1
- Gebhard, David, and Winter, Robert, A Guide to Architecture in Los Angeles & Southern California, Peregrine Smith, Santa Barbara 1977
- Gebhard, David, and Winter, Robert, Architecture in Los Angeles: A Complete Guide, Gibbs M. Smith-Peregrine Smith Books, Salt Lake City 1985; revised and updated by Robert Winter as An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles, Gibbs Smith, Salt Lake City 2003, ISBN 1-58685-308-2
- Winter, Robert, editor and co-author, Toward a Simpler Way of Life: The Arts & Crafts Architects of California, University of California Press, Berkeley 1997, ISBN 0-520-20916-8