|Member of the Wisconsin Senate
from the 22nd district
|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
from the tbd district
November 16, 1943 |
Kenosha, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Mary Wirch; 2 children|
|Residence||Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin–Parkside|
Robert W. Wirch (born November 16, 1943) is a Democratic Party member of the Wisconsin Senate, representing the 22nd district since 1997. He previously served in the Wisconsin Assembly from 1993 through 1997.
Early life, education and career
Wirch was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin and graduated from Bradford High School. He received a bachelor's degree from the University of Wisconsin–Parkside in 1970 and served in the United States Army Reserve from 1965 to 1971. He served as a member of the Board of Supervisors for Kenosha County from 1986 to 1994.
In 1992, Wirch was elected to the Wisconsin State Assembly and served there until 1997. Wirch was elected to the Wisconsin Senate in 1996 and was reelected in 2000, 2004 (that year he ran against Reince Priebus), and 2008. He served as the Democratic Minority Caucus Chairperson from 2003 to 2005.
2011 Wisconsin protests
On February 20, 2011, it was reported that Wirch, along with 13 other Democratic Wisconsin State Senators, had left the state, allegedly to deny the State Senate a quorum on Governor Scott Walker's Budget Repair legislation. The Budget Repair bill later passed.
2011 recall attempt
On February 24, 2011, Taxpayers to Recall Robert Wirch officially registered with the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board as a result of the 2011 Wisconsin protests. 13,537 valid signatures of electors residing within the 22nd District had to be collected by April 25, 2011 to generate a recall election. On April 21, Taxpayers to Recall Robert Wirch filed 18,300 signatures with Wisconsin's Government Accountability Board. On August 16, 2011, Wirch won 57% of the vote in a recall election, defeating Republican Jonathan Steitz.
Wirch and his wife reside in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin.
|Democratic||Robert Wirch (incumbent)||25,541||57.49|
|Democratic||Robert Wirch (incumbent)||54,937||66.74|
|Democratic||Robert Wirch (incumbent)||42,097||52.14|
|Democratic||Robert Wirch (incumbent)||39,321||55.98|
- "Senator Robert Wirch profile". Wisconsin State Legislature. Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- Glauber, Bill (February 20, 2011). "In Illinois, Wisconsin Senate Democrats vow unity". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- "Taxpayers to Recall Robert Wirch". Wisconsin Government Accountability Board. March 9, 2011. Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- Tolan, Tom (April 21, 2011). "Recall petitions filed against 4 lawmakers". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- "August 16 Wisconsin recall election results". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. August 17, 2011. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- Senator Robert Wirch at the Wisconsin State Legislature
- Bob Wirch for State Senate official campaign site
- Wisconsin Historical Society-Robert W. Wirch
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Campaign 2008 campaign contributions at Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
- 22nd Senate District, Senator Wirch in the Wisconsin Blue Book (2005–2006)
|Wisconsin State Senate|
|Wisconsin State Senator - 22nd District
1996 – Incumbent