Robert Witt (American academic)
|Chancellor of the University of Alabama System|
May 5th, 2012
|Preceded by||Malcolm Portera|
|President of the University of Alabama|
|President of the University of Texas|
September 16, 1940 |
Bridgeport, Connecticut, U.S.
|Alma mater||Bates College
Pennsylvania State University
Robert E. Witt (born September 16, 1940) is an American businessman, and academic administrator. He is the current Chancellor of the University of Alabama System, concurrently serving as the Chairman of the Council of Presidents of Alabama’s public colleges and universities.
Early life and education
Witt received his bachelor's degree in economics in 1962 from Bates College, his M.B.A. from Dartmouth College and his Ph.D. from Pennsylvania State University. He is also a member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity.
University of Texas at Austin
Witt joined the business school faculty at the University of Texas at Austin in 1968, and rose through the ranks as chair and associate dean. He was named the Zale Corporation Centennial Professor in Business in 1983. Two years later he was named to the Mortimer Centennial Professorship in Business and that year became acting dean of business. In 1985, he was named dean, a position he would hold for nine years.
University of Texas at Arlington
In 1995, Witt joined the University of Texas at Arlington as interim president. He was named permanent president in 1996. His accomplishments at UT-Arlington included:
- Partnering with the Chamber of Commerce to establish the Arlington Technology Incubator
- Creating a nanotechnology research and teaching facility
- Establishing the University's first alliance of African-American ministers and community leaders.
University of Alabama
In 2003, Witt left the University of Texas at Arlington to become President of the University of Alabama. On May 5, 2012, Witt was appointed as the Chancellor of the University of Alabama System.
- "Academic Vita of Dr. Robert E. Witt". The University of Alabama. Archived from the original on 2012-03-07.
- "Civil Rights leader Rep. John Lewis to deliver 2016 Commencement address, joining honorands Lisa Genova '92, Daniel Gilbert and Robert Witt '62". www.bates.edu. Retrieved 2016-05-20.