Robert Woodrow Wilson
- For the accelerator physicist and founding director of Fermilab, see Robert R. Wilson.
- For the American president, see Woodrow Wilson.
|Robert Woodrow Wilson|
Wilson in 2016
|Born||January 10, 1936|
Houston, Texas, USA
|Alma mater||Rice University|
California Institute of Technology
|Known for||Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation|
|Awards||Henry Draper Medal (1977)|
Nobel Prize in Physics (1978)
|Part of a series on|
While working on a new type of antenna at Bell Labs in Holmdel Township, New Jersey, they found a source of noise in the atmosphere that they could not explain. After removing all potential sources of noise, including pigeon droppings on the antenna, the noise was finally identified as CMB, which served as important corroboration of the Big Bang theory.
Life and work
Robert Woodrow Wilson was born on January 10, 1936, in Houston, Texas. He graduated from Lamar High School in River Oaks, in Houston, and studied as an undergraduate at Rice University, also in Houston, where he was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa society. He then earned a PhD in physics at California Institute of Technology.
- Penzias, A.A.; Wilson, R.W. (1965). "A Measurement of Excess Antenna Temperature at 4080 Mc/s". Astrophysical Journal. 142: 419–421. Bibcode:1965ApJ...142..419P. doi:10.1086/148307.
- "Distinguished HISD Alumni Archived 2012-02-25 at WebCite," Houston Independent School District
- "Henry Draper Medal". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-07. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- Nobel Lectures, Physics 1971-1980, Editor Stig Lundqvist, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, 1992. Autobiography. Accessed March 15, 2011. "We still live in the house in Holmdel which we bought when I first came to Bell Laboratories."
- "Robert Woodrow Wilson - Biographical". www.nobelprize.org. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- "Robert Woodrow Wilson". www.nndb.com. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- "Distinguished HISD Alumni", Houston Independent School District, Houston, Texas, 2008.
- Cite Video | BBC/WGBH BOSTON | NOVA #519 | A Whisper From Space | Copyright 1978 | Available With Permission | Consolidated Aircraft - Ronkonkoma, New York