|Born||Roberta Alexandra Mary Roberts
26 February 1948
Plaistow, West Ham, Essex, England
|Spouse(s)||Peter Guinness (m. 1996)|
Roberta Taylor (born Roberta Alexandra Mary Roberts 26 February 1948) is an English actress and author. She is best known for her roles of Irene Raymond in EastEnders (1997–2000), and Inspector Gina Gold in The Bill (2002–2008).
Taylor worked in the theatre and appeared at the Glasgow Citizens Theatre from 1980 to 1992. During that period, she played La Duchesse de Guermantes in a stage adaptation of Marcel Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu (Remembrance of Things Past) entitled A Waste of Time, in which Rupert Everett and Gary Oldman were also in the cast. She was also seen in Noël Coward's Design for Living, Oscar Wilde's A Woman of No Importance and An Ideal Husband. She was the Princess Kosmonopolis in Tennessee Williams' Sweet Bird of Youth in 1992, and in 1995 played the Nurse in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet at the Lyric Hammersmith.
She has also appeared in episodes of the television series Doctors, Sharman, Holby City, Silent Witness and Inspector Morse. She has appeared as a guest on The Paul O'Grady Show and in the films The Witches (1990) and Tom & Viv (1994).
In 2005 she played Mrs Pardiggle in the BBC's drama serial adaptation of Charles Dickens' Bleak House. In 2009, she starred as the long-suffering Phoebe Rice in John Osborne's play The Entertainer at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester. In 2011 she will appear in the West End revival of Pygmalion, alongside Rupert Everett, Kara Tointon and Diana Rigg.
Taylor met fellow actor Peter Guinness whilst working with the Glasgow Citizens Theatre. They married in September 1996 after having been together for twenty years. Guinness appeared in a few episodes of The Bill as her lover in 2007.
Taylor came out in support of the Labour Party for the 2010 general election, appearing in an election broadcast with fellow EastEnders actor Ross Kemp and hosting the silent auction at the Labour Party Women's Dinner on 6 December 2010 at Hotel Russell in London.
Alongside her acting career, Taylor is an author. Her first book, Too Many Mothers, a memoir of her childhood, was published in October 2005. Her first novel, The Reinvention of Ivy Brown, was published in November 2008.
- Father Brown ....Sister Paul (2013)
- The Bill ....Inspector Gina Gold (2002–2008)
- Bleak House ....Mrs Pardiggle (2005)
- M.I.T.: Murder Investigation Team ....Inspector Gina Gold (2003)
- Holby City ....Karen Lake (2002)
- Doctors ....Rachel Whiting (2001)
- EastEnders ....Irene Raymond (1997–2000)
- The Passion ....Jane (1999)
- The Knock ....Ms Gardiner (1997)
- Silent Witness ....Dr de Groot (1997)
- Sharman ....Aggie (1996)
- Dangerfield ....Mrs Weatherall (1995)
- The Turnaround ....Aggie (1995)
- Tom and Viv ....Ottoline Morrell (1994)
- In Suspicious Circumstances ....Violette Kaye (1994)
- Minder .... Pat Norris (1991)
- The Witches ....Chef Witch (1990)
- One Way Out ....Athene (1989)
- Inspector Morse ....Sheila Williams (1987)
- Wolcott ....Mrs Godden (1981)
- Lady Killers ....Roberta Martin (1980)