Roberto Borge Angulo
Governor Roberto Borge Angulo (r) with U.S. Ambassador Earl Anthony Wayne
7th Governor of Quintana Roo
April 5, 2011 – September 25, 2016
|Preceded by||Félix González Canto|
|Succeeded by||Carlos Joaquín González|
December 29, 1979 |
Cozumel, Quintana Roo
|Political party||Institutional Revolutionary Party|
|Spouse(s)||Mariana Zorrilla Erales|
|Alma mater||Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education|
Roberto Borge Angulo is a Mexican politician affiliated with the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). He served the 7th Governor of Quintana Roo(2011-2016). After the end of his term he was declared a criminal by the Mexican Government due to proven crimes of corruption during his time as governor. Roberto Borge was arrested in June 5, 2017 at an Airport in Panama.
Early life and career
Roberto Borge completed his basic studies in Cozumel, the high school and university in the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, where he graduated with a degree in Business Administration.
He has family with political background, he is nephew of Miguel Borge Martín, 3rd Governor of Quintana Roo from 1987 to 1993. He began his political career as head of public relations of the Department of Economic Development in the Quintana Roo's government from 2002 to 2003, this year he became private secretary of federal deputy Félix González Canto. In 2005, when González Canto was elected Governor, Borge kept his job as private secretary. When González Canto took office, appointed him as General Treasurer of the State and then Chief Clerk of Government. He resigned to become president of the PRI party in the state of Quintana Roo.
In 2009 he was nominated candidate for federal deputy for the First Federal Electoral District of Quintana Roo. He was elected to the LXI Legislature of the Mexican Congress. He soon became one of the main contenders for the PRI candidacy for governor of Quintana Roo, its main contender and head in the polls was Carlos Joaquín González, however, on March 24, 2010 he asked and obtained a leave as member of the Chamber of Deputies. On March 26 he was fue postulate as candidate of the unity to the state government.
Roberto Borge was elected in the electoral process of July 4 and received the appointment as elect- governor on July 11. He took office on April 5, 2011. Borge was the youngest Governor in Mexican history.
Media reports indicate alleged involvement in irregular handling of public funds in their governorship through aircraft rents with stratospheric costs and to be presumed owner of properties with a cost over one million dollars. Civil society organizations claimed impeachment to Borge during his term as governor.
Judicial proceedings against him
On 31 May 2017, an arrest warrant was issued on him for money laundering. On June 4 2017, Borge was arrested at the Tocumen International Airport, Panama while about to board a plane to Paris.
- "Roberto Borge, séptimo gobernador constitucional de Q. Roo". El Quintanarroense. April 4, 2010. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- "Carlos Joaquín encabeza preferencias en Qroo". El Universal. March 19, 2010. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- Roberto José Pacheco (March 24, 2010). "Dan licencia a diputado Borge". Notimex. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- Fernando Meraz Mejorado (March 26, 2010). "Destapa el PRI a Roberto Borge como candidato a gobernador en Quintana Roo". Milenio Diario. Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- Fernando Meraz Mejorado (July 11, 2010). "Declaran a Roberto Borge gobernador electo de Quintana Roo". Milenio Diario. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- "Borge Angulo asume gubernatura en Q. Roo". El Universal. April 5, 2011. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- "Reaparece Salinas de Gortari en toma de protesta de Borge". La Jornada. April 6, 2011. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- Águila Arreola, Carlos (September 29, 2016). "Derrochó Roberto Borge Angulo 51.2 millones de dólares en vuelos privados (Roberto Borge Angulo squanders 51.2 million in private flights)". La Jornada. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Revelan propiedades millonarias del gobernador Roberto Borge en QRoo (Revealed millionaire properties of governor Roberto Borge in Quintana Roo)". www.animalpolitico.com. Animal Político. September 20, 2016. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Presentan demanda de juicio político contra gobernador de Quintana Roo (Demanded impeachment against governor of Quintana Roo)". El Universal. August 18, 2016. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Mexico fugitive ex-governor Roberto Borge arrested". BBC News. 5 June 2017.
- "México pide la extradición de Roberto Borge, quien fue detenido antes de volar de Panamá a París" (in Spanish). Animal Politico. 5 June 2017.
Félix González Canto
|Governor of Quintana Roo
2011 – present