Roberto Cipriani, Italian social scientist
|Occupation||Professor of sociology at the Roma Tre University and President of the European Council of National Associations of Sociology|
|Known for||Analytical contributions to the concept of diffused religion|
Roberto Cipriani (b. Rovato, 1945) is an Italian social scientist. He is professor of sociology at Roma Tre University. "He has written extensively on popular religion, the sacred and secularization", and is known for his unconventional applications of the "concept of 'diffused religion' (religione diffusa) and then that of 'religion of values' (religione dei valori)". He has made important analytical contributions to the concept of diffused religion by using grounded theory.
With diffused religion, "Cipriani seeks to express a kind of faith reference, of religious sentiment which is a part of the culture of a population and which finds continuous modalities of adaptation in relation to the changing times". "He also underlines what he calls the 'meta-institutional' character of this religion, even if, he says, these characteristics have a religious institutional origin".
He is currently President of the European Council of National Associations of Sociology. He is the author of more than fifty books and eight hundred articles and his work has been translated into English, French, Russian, Spanish, German, Chinese and Portuguese.
He graduated from University of Rome "La Sapienza" in 1968, with a thesis on "Sociology of religion in Italy." In 1971 he began his collaboration with the journal La critica sociologica, founded and directed by Franco Ferrarotti. From 1990 to 1994 he was president of the "Research Committee" of Sociology of Religion in the International Sociological Association.
From 1997 he has been a Professor of Sociology at University of Roma Tre, where from 2001 to 2012 he directed the Department of Education. From 2004 to 2007 he was President of the Italian Association of Sociology. From 1995 to 1998 he was editor-in-chief of International Sociology. From 2007 to 2008 he was co-editor of Annual Review of Italian Sociology. In 2006 he has been Chancellor Dunning Trust Lecturer (Other Lecturers: Martha Nussbaum in 2001, Amartya Sen in 1982, John K. Galbraith in 1968, Daniel Bell in 1965)  at Queen's University, Kingston, Canada, on Human Values - Religious and Secular. In 2008 he has been Directeur d'Etudes at Maison des Sciences de l'Homme in Paris. From 2009, finally, he has been the president of the European Council of National Associations of Sociology, part of the European Sociological Association. He has written and/or directed some research movies on popular feasts, namely om Holy Week in Cerignola (Italy) ("Rossocontinuo", directed by Toni Occhiello) and in Spain ("Semana Santa en Sevilla"), on patron saint feast in a Mexican pueblo ("Las fiestas de san Luís Rey", co-directed with Toni Occhiello) and, with Emanuela del Re, on festival of festivals in Haifa ("Haifa's answer").
- DOBBELAERE, Karel in, SWATOS, Wiliam H. , Jr. Encyclopedia of Religion and Society. London: AltaMira, 1998 p. 93 ISBN 0-7619-8956-0.
- “Religion and politics. The italian case. Diffused religion”, Archives de Sciences Sociales des Religions, 58/1, 1984, pp. 29–51
- ANTES, Peter, Armin W. Geertz, Randi R. Warne. New Approaches to the Study of Religion. v. 2 – Textual, Comparative, Sociological, and Cognitive Approaches, Berlin, Library of Congress, 2004, p. 203. ISBN 3-11-018175-4
- CIPRIANI 1992: 265, apud ANTES 2004, cit. Idem
- From his official site
- 2000. Sociology of Religion: An Historical Introduction, Aldine de Gruyter, New York.
- 2004-2005. Sociology of Religion: An Historical Introduction", China Renmin University Press, Beijing.
- 2004. Manuel de sociologie de la religion, L'Harmattan, Paris.
- 2007. Manual de sociologia da religião, Paulus, São Paulo.
- 2011. Manual de sociología de la religión, 2.a edición revisada y aumentada, Siglo Veintiuno Editores, Buenos Aires.
- Dalla teoria alla verifica. Indagine sui valori in mutamento, La Goliardica, Roma 1978;
- Il Cristo rosso. Riti e simboli, religione e politica nella cultura popolare, Ianua, Roma 1985;
- La religione diffusa. Teoria e prassi, Borla, Roma 1988;
- Sud e religione. Dal magico al politico, Borla, Roma 1990 (in collaborazione con Maria Mansi);
- La religione dei valori. Indagine nella Sicilia centrale, Sciascia, Caltanissetta-Roma, 1992;
- Sociologie del tempo. Tra crònos e kairòs, Euroma, Roma-Bari 1997;
- Manuale di sociologia della religione, Borla, Roma 1998;
- Il pueblo solidale, F. Angeli, Milano 2005;
- Nuovo manuale di sociologia della religione, Borla, Roma 2009;
- Sociologia del pellegrinaggio, FrancoAngeli, Milano 2012.