|President of the Chamber of Deputies|
|Assumed office |
24 March 2018
|Preceded by||Laura Boldrini|
|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
|Assumed office |
15 March 2013
|Constituency||Campania 1 (2013–2018)|
Naples Fuorigrotta (2018–present)
|Born||10 October 1974|
Naples, Campania, Italy
|Political party||Five Star Movement|
|Alma mater||University of Trieste|
Roberto Fico (Italian pronunciation: [roˈbɛrto ˈfiːko]; born 10 October 1974) is an Italian politician and member of the Five Star Movement. Since 24 March 2018 he has served as President of the Italian Chamber of Deputies. Previously, he was the Chairman of the RAI Supervision Commission from 6 June 2013 until 22 March 2018.
Roberto Fico was born in Naples in 1974, from a middle-class family. In 2001, he graduated in communication studies at the University of Trieste, with a thesis regarding the social and linguistic identity of Neapolitan neomelodic music. After the university he worked for some press offices, in a hotel, as tour operator manager, in a call-center, in a butcher shop as a butcher assistant, and as a small importer of fabrics from Morocco.
On 18 July 2005 he founded in Naples one of the forty "Friends of Beppe Grillo" meetups, in the wake of which the Five Star Movement will be born. In 2010 he ran as President of Campania region, but only received 1.35% of the votes in the election. In 2011 he was the M5S candidate for Mayor of Naples, getting only 1.38% of votes, not exceeding the first round.
In December 2012 Fico arrived first, with 228 preferences obtained on the web, in the parliamentary primary election of the M5S, and thus he was nominated for the first position on the M5S list of the constituency Campania 1. In February 2013, he was elected to the 17th Italian Parliament.
In 2013, Fico was voted by his parliamentary group to the Presidency of the Chamber of Deputies without being elected. On 6 June 2013 he was elected Chairman of the RAI Supervision Commission. Fico has renounced the function allowance to which he would have been entitled as Chairman of the RAI Supervision Commission and the personal car. As president of the RAI Supervision Commission, during his presidency, he introduces the live streaming broadcast on the web TV of the Chamber of Deputies of all the auditions, the publication on the Parliament website of the questions addressed by the commissioners to RAI and the related answers and the determination of a maximum of 15 days for the answers to the questions by the public radio and television company. Among the acts approved in the Commission, there were a resolution aimed of resolving and avoiding possible conflicts of interest.
As a deputy, he also presented a draft law on the governance of RAI; one of the points, the plan for corporate transparency, has merged into the RAI reform approved in 2015 by the Parliament. Following the implementation of this plan, the company had to make public the remuneration of senior managers, editorial departments and journalistic publications.
President of the Chamber of Deputies
In March 2018 was re-elected in the constituency of Napoli–Fuorigrotta with 57.6% of votes. On 24 March 2018, Fico was elected President of the Chamber of Deputies, supported by his own party, the League, Forza Italia and Brothers of Italy.
On 23 April 2018, after the fail of the mandate to President of the Senate, Elisabetta Casellati, to start a government between the M5S and the centre-right coalition, he was given an exploratory mandate by President Sergio Mattarella to try and reconcile the issues between the Five Star Movement and the Democratic Party, in order to break the post-election political deadlock and form a fully functional new government.
Fico often stated he was in favor of extending the right to marriage and adoption by same-sex couples. He also supports euthanasia for terminally ill person, and the so-called jus soli, that is the right of anyone born in the territory of a state to nationality or citizenship. Fico is considered the leader of the left-wing faction of the Five Star Movement, often in opposition to Luigi Di Maio.
|2018 general election (C): Napoli – Fuorigrotta|
|Roberto Fico||Five Star Movement||61,819||57.6|
|Marta Schifone||Centre-right coalition||21,651||20.2|
|Daniela Iaconis||Centre-left coalition||15,779||14.7|
- Parlamento, accordo M5s-Centrodestra: Fico eletto presidente della Camera, al Senato c'è Casellati
- Intesa sulle commission: Fico alla Vigilanza Rai Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine
- "Profile of Roberto Fico". The official website of the Chamber of Deputies of the Italian Republic.
- Identità sociale e linguistica della musica neomelodica napoletana
- Chi è Roberto Fico, il nuovo Presidente della Camera
- Storia breve di Roberto Fico, nuovo presidente della Camera
- Roberto Fico, dal call center alla presidenza della Camera dei Deputati
- Movimento 5 Stelle – I candidati
- COmunicato stampa del 30/03/2010
- Roberto Fico candidato del Movimento 5 Stelle a Napoli
- Napoli – Elezioni COmunali 15−16 Maggio 2011
- Risultati parlamentarie Campania
- Candidati elezioni 2011
- M5S: Fico alla Camera, Orellana al Senato
- Roberto Fico: conferenze stampa su "Presidenza Commissione vigilanza Rai"
- M5S, Fico: “Rinunciato all’indennità della Vigilanza. Risparmio da 133mila euro”
- Risoluzione relativa all'esercizio della potestà di vigilanza della Commissione sulla società concessionaria del servizio pubblico radiotelevisivo
- Risoluzione sull’adozione da parte della Rai di procedure aziendali volte a evitare possibili conflitti di interesse da parte degli agenti di spettacolo
- Atto Camera 2922
- Rai, Grillo presenta la sua riforma: Cda a 5 e consiglieri sorteggiati dall'Agcom
- Risultati Camera dei Deputati – Collegio Napoli−Fuorigrotta
- "Italienische Wahlsieger einigen sich auf Parlamentspräsidenten". Der Spiegel. 24 March 2018.
- "Italienische Wahlsieger einigen sich auf Parlamentspräsidenten [1:10]". Südtirol News. 25 March 2018.
- "Italiens Parlament wählt Präsidenten: Silvio Berlusconi einigt sich mit Fünf-Sterne-Bewegung". RT Deutsch. 24 March 2018.
- Mandato a Fico per governo Pd-M5s. Di Maio scarica Salvini: "Ci ho provato". Martina: "Dialogo se finiscono ambiguità"
- Fico da Mattarella: M5S-PD, governo possibile?
- "Il 2 giugno è festa anche di migranti e rom", è scontro tra Fico e Salvini
- Il comunicatore a favore di eutanasia e nozze gay che votò Bassolino
- us Soli, Fico: “Io sono favorevole, lo voterei”. CasaPound fa un’altra marcia
- Fico, il grillino di sinistra, alla guida di Montecitorio grazie a Salvini
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roberto Fico.|
- (in Italian) Official website
- (in Italian) Roberto Fico on Twitter
- (in Italian) Official website on Facebook
| President of the Italian Chamber of Deputies
|Order of precedence|
as President of the Senate
| Order of precedence of Italy
as President of the Chamber of Deputies
as Prime Minister