|Vice-President of the Chamber of Deputies|
21 March 2013 – 23 March 2018
|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
|Assumed office |
30 May 2001
|Born||24 April 1961|
|Political party||Radical Party (1979–89)|
The Daisy (2001–07)
Democratic Party (since 2007)
|Transnational Radical Party (since 1989)|
Roberto Giachetti was born in Rome in 1961. As a student, he was an activist of center-left libertarian Radical Party, and worked with Radio Radicale. When the Radical Party was dissolved, Giachetti joined the Italian Greens and was elected a district councillor in Rome. In 1993, Rome mayor Francesco Rutelli appointed him director of his mayoral cabinet (Italian: capo di gabinetto). During the period of The Daisy alliance, he was a member of the Rutelliani faction, seeking the party to be modelled on the U.S. Democratic Party. More recently, he became affiliated with the Renziani, the economically market-liberal, socially progressive faction around Prime Minister Matteo Renzi.
On 21 March 2013, Giachetti was elected Vice-President of the Italian Chamber of Deputies. In May 2013, he sponsored a motion to abolish the Porcellum electoral law to return to the previous Mattarellum law on an interim basis. Opposed by then–Prime Minister Enrico Letta and a majority of the Democratic party, but supported by some 100 deputies of Left Ecology Freedom (SEL) and the Five Star Movement (M5S), the motion failed, but prepared the field for the 2015 electoral law reform under Letta's successor Matteo Renzi.
- "Chi è Roberto Giachetti" [Who is Roberto Giachetti?] (in Italian). Roberto Giachetti. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Francesco Maesano (13 January 2016). "Cinque cose su Giachetti, l'uomo di Renzi per il Campidoglio" [Five things about Giachetti, Renzi's confidant for the Capitol]. La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Emanuele Buzzi (6 March 2016). "Primarie, vincono Giachetti e Valente, ma a Roma affluenza dimezzata" [At the primaries, Giachetti and Valente won, their influence in Rome however diminishing]. Corriere della Sera (in Italian). Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Chi è Roberto Giachetti, candidato del PD a sindaco di Roma
- "La "mozione Giachetti" e la legge elettorale" [The "Giachetti motion" and electoral law] (in Italian). Il Post. 30 September 2013. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Rosie Scamell (20 June 2016). "Anti-establishment candidates elected to lead Rome and Turin". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Pd: ticket Giachetti-Ascani per congresso
- Pd, Giachetti: "Con Ascani ci candidiamo al congresso"