Lago playing with Celta in 2012
|Full name||Roberto Lago Soto|
|Date of birth||30 August 1985|
|Place of birth||Vigo, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 June 2018
Born in Vigo, Galicia, Lago was a product of hometown Celta de Vigo's youth system. He made his debuts with the first team in the 2007–08 season, playing 33 matches for the Segunda División side which eventually finished 17th one year after being relegated. In the following years he was an undisputed starter when available, contributing with 35 games and one goal in the 2011–12 campaign as the club returned to La Liga.
Lago's maiden appearance in the top flight was on 18 August 2012, starting in a 0–1 home loss against Málaga CF. He only missed four contests during the season, as Celta eventually stayed up at the expense of neighbouring Deportivo de La Coruña.
Lago joined fellow league club Getafe CF on 12 June 2013, signing a four-year contract. During his three-year spell at the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez, which was often marred by injury, he appeared in 58 competitive games.
In July 2016, following the team's top flight relegation, Lago left by triggering a release clause in his contract.
On 9 July 2016, at nearly 31, Lago moved abroad for the first time in his career, penning a two-year deal with reigning Cypriot champions APOEL FC. He made his official debut on 10 September, playing the full 90 minutes in a 4–0 away victory against Nea Salamis Famagusta FC for the First Division.
- As of 24 May 2017
|Celta B||2003–04||Segunda División B||2||0||—||—||—||2||0|
|APOEL||2016–17||Cypriot First Division||17||0||4||0||0[b]||0||7[c]||0||28||0|
- "El Celta se hace fuerte ante un Nàstic sin gol" [Celta gain strength against goalless Nàstic]. Marca (in Spanish). 13 January 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Roberto Lago cree que el Celta debe aspirar a ser campeón en Segunda" [Roberto Lago thinks Celta must aim to Segunda championship]. La Voz de Galicia (in Spanish). 15 February 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Olinga makes history". ESPN FC. 18 August 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "El Getafe ficha a Roberto Lago" [Getafe sign Roberto Lago] (in Spanish). Goal.com. 12 June 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Roberto Lago y Escudero, fuera de la lista por lesión para jugar en Granada" [Roberto Lago and Escudero, out of the squad to play in Granada due to injury]. Marca (in Spanish). 20 December 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Lago: "Tenemos la mejor plantilla desde que estoy aquí"" [Lago: "We have the best roster since I am here"]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 12 October 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Σύναψη συμφωνίας με Roberto Lago" [Agreement with Roberto Lago] (in Greek). APOEL FC. 9 July 2016. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- Νέα Σαλαμίνα 0–4 ΑΠΟΕΛ [Nea Salamina 0–4 APOEL FC] (in Greek). APOEL FC. 10 September 2016. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Roberto Lago". Soccerway. Retrieved 9 January 2014.