Roberto de Jesús Escobar Gaviria
Roberto de Jesús Escobar Gaviria
Roberto Escobar (right), Pablo Escobar's brother at the family compound turned museum in Medellín, Colombia with visiting American tourists
|Other names||El Osito|
|Occupation||Drug trafficker and smuggler, Co-Founder of the Medellín Cartel, Co-Founder of Escobar Inc, Co-Founder of dietbitcoin|
|Criminal status||Released in 2004|
|Conviction(s)||Drug trafficking and smuggling|
|Criminal penalty||12 years in prison|
Roberto de Jesús Escobar Gaviria (born January 13, 1947), nicknamed El Osito (Little Bear), was the brother of the drug kingpin, Pablo Escobar, and the former accountant and co-founder of the Medellín Cartel, which was responsible for up to 80 percent of the cocaine smuggled into the United States.
For his part in the operations of the Medellín Cartel, Roberto was imprisoned. He escaped with his brother in July 1992 but surrendered to authorities a year later. On December 18, 1993, while still in prison, he was blinded in one eye by a letter bomb. After more than 10 years, he was released.[when?]
In 2014, he founded Escobar Inc with Olof K. Gustafsson and registered Successor-In-Interest rights for his brother in California, United States. On July 1, 2016, he sent a letter to Netflix regarding the Narcos TV series demanding $1 billion in payment for unauthorized usage of content.. In March of 2018 he launched the dietbitcoin cryptocurrency. In January of 2019 he launched a GoFundMe fundraiser in an effort to impeach President Donald Trump
Effort to Impeach President Donald Trump
On January 8, 2019 he launched a $50 million GoFundMe fundraiser in an effort to impeach President Donald Trump. After raising $10 million in 10 hours, the page was removed from the GoFundMe platform and he launched the ESCOBAR cryptocurrency token as an alternative fundraising platform.
- Escobar Gaviria, Roberto (2018). Pablo Escobar's dietbitcoin: After making $100 billion dollars, Roberto Escobar launches the dietbitcoin "DDX" cryptocurrency. Escobar, Inc. ISBN 978-1980576181.
- Escobar Gaviria, Roberto (2016). My Brother – Pablo Escobar. Escobar, Inc. ISBN 978-0692706374.
- Escobar Gaviria, Roberto (2009). The Accountant's Story: Inside the Violent World of the Medellín Cartel. Grand Central Publishing. ISBN 978-0446543699.
- Rutten, Tim (February 25, 2009). "'The Accountant's Story' by Roberto Escobar". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 9, 2016.
- Calderon, Justin (January 8, 2013). "Meet a drug lord's brother on the Pablo Escobar Tour". CNN. Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- "Escobar's Brother Injured by Letter Bomb in Prison". New York Times. December 19, 1993. Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- "California Business Portal: Successor-In-Interest". April 28, 2015. Retrieved June 9, 2016.
- Ingram, Matthew (July 7, 2016). "Real-Life Drug Kingpin Wants Netflix to Pay Him $1 Billion for 'Narcos'". Fortune Magazine. Retrieved July 14, 2016.
- Zuckerman, Molly Jane (March 22, 2018). "Brother Of Pablo Escobar Releases 'Dietbitcoin' As Alternative To 'CIA's BTC Scam'". Cointelegraph. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Scott, Katie (January 8, 2019). [hhttps://globalnews.ca/news/4826858/pablo-escobar-impeach-donald-trump-gofundme/ "Pablo Escobar's brother launched $50M GoFundMe to impeach Donald Trump"]. Global News. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Scott, Katie (January 8, 2019). "Pablo Escobar's brother launched $50M GoFundMe to impeach Donald Trump". Global News. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Martinez, Jose (January 11, 2019). "Pablo Escobar's Brother Reportedly Raised $10 Million for His Impeach Trump GoFundMe Page". Complex. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- "PABLO ESCOBAR'S BROTHER WE RAISED $10M TO IMPEACH TRUMP ... Before GoFundMe Axed Us!!!". TMZ. January 11, 2019. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- "Pablo Escobar's dietbitcoin: After making $100 billion dollars, Roberto Escobar launches the dietbitcoin "DDX" cryptocurrency on Amazon.com Books". Retrieved March 16, 2018.