A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Subsidiary of Glen Dimplex|
|Industry||Audio & Video equipment|
|Headquarters||Mexborough, South Yorkshire, UK|
|Products||DAB/DAB+, analogue, world radios, and Smart Radios. Bluetooth Speakers. Multi-room Wireless Speakers.|
Number of employees
Roberts Radio is a consumer electronics limited company based in Mexborough, South Yorkshire, England. It has been producing radios for over 80 years. Initially, the company only traded in the United Kingdom, but now exports worldwide. The company was initially based in central London, near Oxford Circus and then at Rathbone Place, but moved to East Molesey in 1941.
In 1962, the company had a purpose built factory constructed in West Molesey. The company has been granted three Royal warrants in its own right, and one via the purchase of Dynatron Radio Ltd,[n 1] in 1981.
The company was struggling in the 1980s until one of its transistor radios appeared in an advert in 1989 for Martini, reviving interest in the product. Two limited edition product runs sold out, and led to the reissue of the original design as the Revival model, inspired by a handbag belonging to Harry Roberts' wife Elsie.
The company's current CEO is Owen Watters.
- Barnett, Emma (19 August 2011). "The Roberts Radio is 80". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- Fielding, James; Benson, Richard (October 2007). Made in Britain. Summersdale Publishers. pp. 211–213. ISBN 9781840246056. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Watson-Smyth, Kate (1 March 2013). "Sense of majesty--Design: The Roberts radio". ft.com. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Glen Dimplex acquires Roberts Radio". Telecompaper. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Watters to take over as Roberts chief exec". Archived from the original on 25 February 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2015.