Robin Huw Bowen
This article may be written from a fan's point of view, rather than a neutral point of view. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Problems playing this file? See media help.
Born into the Welsh community in Liverpool, England into a family originally from Anglesey, Bowen learned to play the simple Celtic Harp while at school, inspired by the Breton harper, Alan Stivell. In 1979 he received a degree in Welsh Language and Literature from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth.
He was first exposed to the more complicated Welsh Triple Harp by two members of the Welsh traditional music group Ar Log, brothers Dafydd and Gwyndaf Roberts. They had learned to play the instrument from Nansi Richards, one of the last traditional Welsh folk harpists from the previous generation.
Although he regularly performs as a soloist, Bowen joined the Welsh traditional group Mabsant in 1986 and later joined Cusan Tân. Since 1998 he has been a member of the Welsh 'super-group' Crasdant. In 2004 he and four other Triple Harpists formed Rhes Ganol, the first Welsh Triple Harp 'Choir' to exist since that of Llanover Hall during its heyday at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Robin Huw Bowen worked for many years at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth. While there he discovered several old collections of Welsh tunes and arrangements for harp, some of which have since been published. His research has also drawn on living sources, in particular the harpist Eldra Jarman (1917–2000), a great-granddaughter of John Roberts (Telynor Cymru).
- Trwy'r Weiar - Through the Wire (1987) with Mabsant
- Telyn Berseiniol Fy Ngwlad - Sweet Harp of My Land (1991)
- Cusan Tân - Kiss of Fire (1992) with Cusan Tân
- Hela'r Draenog - Hunting the Hedgehog (1994)
- Cerddoriaeth Telyn Cymru - Harp Music Of Wales (1995)
- Esgair - The Ridge (1996) with Cusan Tân
- Hen Aelwyd - Old Hearth (1999)
- Crasdant (1999) with Crasdant
- Nos Sadwrn Bach - Not Yet Saturday (2001) with Crasdant
- Yn y Gwaed - In the Blood (2004) with Rhes Ganol https://www.discogs.com/Rhes-Ganol-Yn-Y-Gwaed/release/1865198
- Dwndwr - The Great Noise (2005) with Crasdant
- Y Ffordd i Aberystwyth - The Road to Aberystwyth (2007)
- Harp Music of Wales - Cerddoriaeth Telyn Cymru (2011)
- Iaith Enaid (2015)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Robin Huw Bowen.|