Robin Llwyd ab Owain
Robin Llwyd ab Owain
Robin Llwyd ab Owain (born June 1959) is an author, national award winning poet, and Wikipedian. He won the chair at the National Eisteddfod of Wales in 1991 at Mold for a poem titled "Merch Ein Amserau" (The Girl of Our Times). In 2013, he was appointed Wikimedia UK's first Wales Manager.
In 1991, Owain won the chair at the National Eisteddfod of Wales at Mold for a poem titled "The Girl of Our Times". The poem was described by one of the adjudicators as breaking new ground. In December 1996 he became the first Welsh writer to publish his poems on the web: Rhedeg ar Wydr: (trans: Running on Glass), first published in December 1997. He is the son of poet and writer Owain Owain.
His poems have been read on television by actor Rhys Ifans. Owain has written for television and radio.
As well as writing poetry, Owain has also written and published over 100 songs including a number which have been sung by Bryn Terfel: 'Brenin y Ser' ('The King of The Stars') and 'Pedair Oed' ('Four Years Old') which is sung by Rhys Meirion.
Since 2006 Owain's work has not been published.
On 1 July 2013, Owain was appointed the first Wales Manager by Wikimedia UK and Wici Cymru. His role aims to expand Wicipedia Cymraeg (Welsh Wikipedia) and the English Wikipedia's coverage of Welsh topics. As part of this programme, the Welsh Assembly contributed financially to the training of new editors. In relation to Owain's appointment, Jon Davies, Chief Executive of Wikimedia UK, said: "Robin’s appointment as our Wales Manager is a vital part of our outreach strategy. Wicipedia Cymraeg is the world’s most popular Welsh language website and we are proud to support the Welsh language."
Owain had previously worked as a head teacher for over 13 years and from 2000 - 2008 ran a software company (Cyfrifiaduron Sycharth).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Robin Owain.|
- "Barddoniaeth gan Robin Llwyd ab Owain, Rhuthun". www.barddoniaeth.com. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- The Welsh Academy (Welsh National Literature Promotion Agency and Society of Writers) Archived 9 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- (www.gwerin.com), Gwerin. "Nid yw'r dudalen yn bodoli / Page does not exist - Y Lolfa". www.ylolfa.com. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Wikimedia UK yn penodi Rheolwr i Gymru / Wikimedia UK appoints Wales Manager". Wikimedia UK. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Wicipedia Cymraeg: New manager looks to expand Wiki in Welsh". BBC News. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.