|Born||11 March 1957|
|Alma mater||King's College, University of Cambridge|
He grew up in Little Bromley, attending Little Bromley County Primary School and then Colchester Royal Grammar School. He was an undergraduate at King's College, Cambridge, where he also took a PhD degree.
From 1982 to 1986 Osborne was a Junior Unofficial Fellow at King's College, University of Cambridge. In 1986 he moved to Oxford University, initially as a three-year fixed term Fellow at Magdalen College before in 1989 being appointed a University Lecturer in Ancient History and a Fellow of Corpus Christi College.
In 2001 Osborne returned to Cambridge to take up the position of Professor of Ancient History and was appointed a Fellow of King's College. He was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 2006. In the same year he was elected chair of the Council of University Classical Departments for a three-year term; in 2009 he was re-elected for a second and final term of office.
He was President of the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies, 2002–2006. Osborne serves as the executive editor for World Archaeology, an academic journal published by Routledge, and is a member of the editorial boards of several other renowned journals including the Journal of Hellenic Studies, the Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology and the American Journal of Archaeology.
Osborne is the author of textbooks on archaic Greek history (Greece in the Making 1200–479 BC) and on Greek art (Archaic and Classical Greek Art); he has also written numerous seminal articles on Athenian law, ancient Greek social and economic history, and Classical art and archaeology.
Bibliography of works
- Osborne, Robin; Alcock, Susan E. (1994). Placing the gods: sanctuaries and sacred space in ancient Greece. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 0-19-815060-1.
- Osborne, Robin (1996). Greece in the making, 1200-479 BC. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-03583-X.
- Osborne, Robin (1998). Archaic and classical Greek art. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-284202-1.
- Osborne, Robin; Goldhill, Simon (1999). Performance culture and Athenian democracy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-64247-7.
- Osborne, Robin; Rhodes, P. J. (2003). Greek historical inscriptions: 404-323 BC. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-815313-9.
- Osborne, Robin (2007). Debating the Athenian cultural revolution. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-87916-3.
|Professor of Ancient History, Cambridge University