He was born in 1947 in Derbyshire and was educated at Chesterfield Grammar School, a boys' grammar school. He attended the University of Liverpool, where he gained a BEng degree in Electronics in 1968.
Saxby had an electronics kit at the age of eight and a TV repair business at the age of 14. Reflecting on this in 2006, he considered himself "destined for the electronics industry". He worked at Rank Bush Murphy, Pye, Motorola and Henderson Security. Immediately prior to his appointment at ARM, he worked at European Silicon Structures.
Saxby is a chartered engineer, an Honorary fellow of the FIET and a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering. He has honorary doctorates from the University of Liverpool (where he is a visiting professor), Loughborough University, the University of Essex, Nottingham Trent University and Anglia Ruskin University.
In 2013 he presented the IET prestigious Pinkerton Lecture.
He was President of the Old Cestrefeldians Society 2012/13.
He married Patricia Bell in 1970. They have a son and a daughter.
Notes and references
- "List of Fellows".
- "Q5: Sir Robin Saxby, chairman of ARM". Electronics Weekly. February 24, 2006. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- The Andrew Davidson Interview: ARM chairman steps down, but not out Sunday Times May 28, 2006
- "Robin Saxby Ph.D.: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Businessweek. Retrieved 2015-03-24.
Sir Robin Saxby, Ph.D. served as the Chief Executive Officer of Arm Inc.
- Peter Day (4 June 2007). "An Evening with Sir Robin Saxby". IET. Retrieved 2015-03-24.
Sir Robin Saxby FREng BEng CEng HonFIET was involved in the founding of ARM and served as Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer since joining the company full-time in February 1991.
- ISMS. "Anglia Ruskin University's Honorary Graduate Site". ww2.anglia.ac.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-24.
Sir Robin Saxby is a highly respected engineer, manager and entrepreneur. He was born in Derbyshire, educated at Chesterfield Boys Grammar and obtained a Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) from Liverpool University where he is now a Visiting Professor.
- IET press release
- "OUR 2012 PRESIDENT: Sir Robin Keith Saxby" (PDF). oldcestrefeldians.org.uk. Retrieved 2015-02-16.
|Professional and academic associations|
Sir John Chisholm
|President of the Institution of Engineering and Technology