|Born||20 July 1947|
|Years of service||1968 - 2004|
9th/12th Royal Lancers|
5th Infantry Division
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Educated at Leasam House School and the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Searby was commissioned into the 9th/12th Royal Lancers in 1968. After service in Germany, Northern Ireland and Oman, he was appointed Commanding Officer of his regiment in 1987. He was appointed Chief of Staff to the Director Royal Armoured Corps in 1989, Commander Royal Armoured Corps for 1 (British) Corps in 1991 and Commander of British Forces in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia in 1993. He went on to be President of the Army Officer Selection Board in 1993, General Officer Commanding 5th Division in 1996 and Senior British Loan Services Officer in Oman in 2000 before retiring in 2004.
In 2004 he was appointed Defence Co-ordinator with Libya under an agreement to advise and train members of the Libyan Army at Sandhurst. In 2010 he became the UK Prime Minister's adviser on counterterrorism for North Africa.
In 1976 he married Caroline Angela Beamish; they have one son and two daughters.
- Debrett's People of Today 1994
- Army Commands Archived 5 July 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's)". Regiments.org. Archived from the original on 17 December 2005. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- The golden handshake: Brave step or a cynical ploy? The Independent, 26 May 2004
- UK working closely with Algeria on counter-terrorism Mensa Associates, 6 December 2010
| General Officer Commanding the 5th Division
Peter Grant Peterkin