Robin de Jesús
Robin de Jesús
|Occupation||Stage, film actor|
Robin de Jesús’s first major role was as Michael in the independent film Camp (2003), where he plays a gay teen who gets beat up for wearing a dress to his prom. While the film went relatively unnoticed in the mainstream, it gained a cult following - for teen outcasts who liked musical theater or for those who were in search of belonging.
He is perhaps best known for playing the role of Sonny in the 2008 Broadway musical In the Heights, for which he received a Tony Award nomination for Best Featured Actor in a Musical. In 2010, he joined the revival cast of La Cage aux Folles as Jacob, the sassy housekeeper, which earned him his second Tony Award nomination in the featured category. The production opened at the Longacre Theatre on April 18, 2010, and de Jesús was nominated for another Tony for his performance. De Jesús left the production on February 13, 2011, replaced by Wilson Jermaine Heredia. De Jesús played the role of Boq in the Broadway production of Wicked at the Gershwin Theatre.
- Camp (2003) - Michael Flores
- Pet the Goat (2004) - Hector
- Fat Girls (2006) - Rudy
- How to Make It in America (2010) - Street Teenager
- Gun Hill Road (2011) - Robin
- Elliot Loves (2012) - Hector
- HairBrained (2013)
- Rent (2005 Broadway) – Steve/Waiter and understudy for Angel
- In the Heights (2007 Off-Broadway) – Sonny
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Ensemble Performance (winner)
- In the Heights (2008 Broadway) – Sonny
- La Cage aux Folles (2010 Broadway revival) – Jacob
- Domesticated (2013 Lincoln Center Theatre)
- Mother Jones and the Children's Crusade (2014 NYMF)
- Wicked (2014–2016, Broadway) - Boq
- The Boys in the Band (2018 Broadway) - Emory
- Aladdin (2012) - Aladdin
- "Q&A: Robin De Jesús". The Ensemblist. 11 November 2015. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "The Movie That Taught A Generation Of Misfits To Let Their Freak Flags Fly". Buzzfeed.com. Retrieved January 6, 2018.
- Isherwood, Charles. "From the Corner Bodega, the Music of Everyday Life", The New York Times, February 9, 2007.
- Jones, Kenneth. "Shively, Cox, Andreas, Hoch, De Jesús, Shaddow and Cunningham Join La Cage aux Folles" Archived 2010-03-10 at the Wayback Machine. Playbill. February 3, 2010.
- Propst, Andy. "PS Classics to Release New Broadway Cast Recording of La Cage Aux Folles" theatremania.com, July 27, 2010.
- "Tony Winner Wilson Jermaine Heredia Set for La Cage aux Folles". Broadway.com, January 4, 2011.
- "Seven Questions with Wicked's Robin de Jesus About #TheStruggleIsReal & Bringing Sexy Boq". Broadway Box. 22 April 2015. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Interview with Robin de Jesús about In The Heights". OasisJournals.com. February 2007. Retrieved January 6, 2018.
- "Interview with Robin de Jesús about his Tony nomination for In The Heights". OasisJournals.com. June 2008. Retrieved January 6, 2018.
- "Interview with Robin de Jesús about La Cage Aux Folles". OasisJournals.com. June 2010. Retrieved January 6, 2018.
- "New York Musical Festival :: 2014 Events". NYMF.org. Retrieved January 6, 2018.
- Wong, Curtis M. (21 July 2014). "Robin de Jesús On 'Mother Jones And The Children's Crusade' At The New York Musical Theatre Festival". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Wong, Curtis M. (4 October 2013). "Robin De Jesús On Taking Over For Ben Rimalower In 'Patti' Issues' And Choosing Gay Roles Responsibly". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2 March 2017.