Robot Chicken DC Comics Special
|Robot Chicken DC Comics Special|
DVD cover art.
|Written by||Matthew Beans
|Directed by||Seth Green|
Neil Patrick Harris
|Narrated by||Kevin Shinick|
|Production company(s)||DC Entertainment
Stoopid Buddy Studios
Sony Pictures Television
Warner Bros. Animation
|Original release||September 9, 2012|
|Preceded by||Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode III|
|Followed by||Robot Chicken DC Comics Special 2: Villains in Paradise|
A DC Universe special, in collaboration with DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation. Voice actors are Seth Green as Batman, Robin and Aquaman, Paul Reubens as the Riddler, Neil Patrick Harris as Two-Face, Alfred Molina as Lex Luthor, Nathan Fillion as the Green Lantern, Megan Fox as Lois Lane, Breckin Meyer as Superman, and Kevin Shinick as the narrator. Cast also includes Abraham Benrubi, Alex Borstein, Clare Grant, Tara Strong, Matthew Senreich, Aaron Paul, Steven Tyler, Tom Root and Zeb Wells. It's followed by the Robot Chicken DC Comics Special 2: Villains in Paradise, which premiered April 6, 2014.
- Abraham Benrubi as Cyborg, Kilowog, Appa Ali Apsa, Solomon Grundy
- Alex Borstein as Wonder Woman, Giganta, Woman at Bar
- Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern, Mr. Freeze
- Megan Fox as Lois Lane
- Clare Grant as Cheetah, Ice, Abby Holland
- Seth Green as The Nerd, Batman, Robin, Aquaman, The Penguin, Little Cheese, Martian Manhunter, Toyman, Green Arrow, Scarecrow, Abin Sur, Ganthet, Gorilla Grodd, Hawkman, Jimmy Olsen, Various
- Neil Patrick Harris as Two-Face, Black Manta
- Breckin Meyer as Superman, Mirror Master
- Alfred Molina as Lex Luthor, Firestorm, Mister Banjo
- Aaron Paul as Glenn
- Paul Reubens as The Riddler
- Tom Root as Captain Cold, Icicle, B'dg
- Kevin Shinick as Narrator
- Matthew Senreich as The Flash, Brainiac, Wildcat, Chillblaine
- Tara Strong as Harley Quinn, Selena Gomez
- Steven Tyler as Singer
- Zeb Wells as Sinestro, Swamp Thing
- Matthew Beans
- Mike Fasolo
- Douglas Goldstein
- Seth Green
- Geoff Johns
- Breckin Meyer
- Tom Root
- Matthew Senreich
- Kevin Shinick
- Zeb Wells
List of sketches
- RCDC - Robot Chicken joins forces with DC Comics supeheroes and supervillains.
- You Can't Fly - Superman, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman have a laugh at Aquaman's expense.
- That's Bane! - While staking out a robbery, Bane sneaks up behind Batman and breaks his back over his knee.
- Real DC Characters - Meet B'dg, a squirrel who's a member of the Green Lantern Corps.
- The Super Kiss - Parody of the scene in Superman II where Superman kisses Lois Lane to make her forget he's Superman, he decides to use his kissnesia on his enemies to make them forget why they hate him, but it backfires on him.
- Two-Face's OCD - Two-Face cannot not flip his coin when making decisions, even when he goes to the bathroom.
- Cold Villains - Mr. Freeze, Captain Cold, Icicle, and Chillblaine all rob a jewelry auction, causing a problem between the four cold-themed villains.
- Funeral in Earth-C - Superman invites Batman and Green Lantern to Captain Carrot's funeral in Earth-C, but Green Lantern can't help himself from laughing at the cartoon animals dressed as superheroes, causing him to abruptly leave. Batman snickered at Little Cheese's name.
- Swamp Thing - Swamp Thing tries to get his girlfriend to understand his powers.
- That's Bane! Again! - While recovering in the Batcave, Bane sneaks up on Batman and breaks his back over his knee again.
- Real DC Characters 2 - Meet Firestorm, a popular and powerful superhero.
- Out to Score - Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, and The Flash hit the bar scene to pick up some ladies. But when Superman and Green Lantern strike out, Aquaman tries to pick up a woman who turns out to be Martian Manhunter in disguise, causing him to go home, get drunk and try to have sex with a dolphin.
- Doom Secret Santa - At the Legion of Doom's HQ, the legion draw names for secret Santa. But when the smelly mailman, Glenn comes in, they all stop talking, while Glenn shouts at them that he showers every day. Glenn then kills himself during the commercial break.
- Nerd Lantern - Instead of Hal Jordan, the Robot Chicken Nerd ends up getting to Abin Sur and receiving his ring instead. When taken to Oa, while training with Kilowog, the Guardians begin to doubt if humans are worthy of a power ring while on Earth, Abin Sur's corpse is eaten by bears.
- Luthor's Warsuit - Lex Luthor steps into the perfect Superman-killing machine until the scientist's son kicks a ball that hits Lex in the face.
- That Tickles - A criminal shoots Superman, but when he notices the bullets are bouncing off, he fires at his crotch, which continues to deflect the bullets, much to Superman's confusion.
- The Punctuation Posse - Riddler forms the Punctuation Posse, which consists of Comma, Quotes, and Exclaimer, which is quickly beaten up by the Justice League and Legion of Doom.
- That's Bane! Thrice! - At the Hall of Justice, Bane sneaks up on Batman and breaks his back over his knee once again while Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern watch.
- Sinestro's Final Moment - In the Legion of Doom bathroom, Riddler and Mirror Master tease Sinestro into shaving his mustache, but as soon as the razor touches his lip, it starts gushing blood, causing Riddler and Mirror Master to run off in disgust.
- That Is It - Aquaman's had enough of the lack of respect after Superman and Wonder Woman mock his powers, Robin uses his trident to unclog the toilet, Martian Manhunter cooks his lobster friends, and Aquaman slips on a puddle and gets mocked by the other heroes.
- Real DC Characters 3 - Meet Mister Banjo, a supervillain. Suddenly, Firestorm bursts in and refuses to be in the same category as him and uses his powers to turn the banjo into metal and then beats Mister Banjo and B'dg with it.
- Aqua Doom - Aquaman visits the Legion of Doom HQ and asks to join. At first, they refuse. But when he tells them he's got security access codes to the Hall of Justice, they let him on the team.
- Solomon Grundy - Solomon Grundy finds out he was actually born on a Tuesday and that his real name is Solomon Gruesday, much to his anger.
- Aquaman Appreciation Party - Aquaman leads the Legion of Doom into the Hall of Justice in a Trojan cake, where the heroes are revealed to have thrown Aquaman a party. After Aquaman cuts into the cake, the Legion of Doom are revealed, leading to an epic final battle between the Justice League and the Legion of Doom that ends with all of them attending Glenn's funeral.
Recurring segments and subplots
Certain segments recurred throughout the special including "That's Bane!" (where Bane sneaks up behind Batman and breaks his back) and "Real Characters from the DC Universe" (featuring characters you wouldn't suspect exist in the DC Universe) as well as subplots including Glenn from the Hall of Doom's mailroom and Aquaman's turn from being part of the Justice League of America to joining the Legion of Doom, plus Lex Luthor getting hit in the head by a kickball.
Robot Chicken DC Comics Special was released on DVD and Blu-ray, on July 9, 2013.
Sources and influences
The logo for the Robot Chicken DC Comics Special is a modification of that for the Super Powers Collection.
The opening sequence of the special parodies that of the Challenge of the Super Friends albeit with the Legion of Doom substituted with Robot Chicken original characters Chicken, Mad Scientist, Nerd, Humping Robot, Composite Santa, Gummy Bear, the Unicorn, and Bitch Puddin'.
Most of the figures used for the special are from the Mego World's Greatest Superheroes!, Mattel DC Universe Classics, and EMCE Toys/Mattel DC Retro Action Superheroes toylines. Brainiac and Lex Luthor would see both DC Universe Classics and DC Retro Action Superheroes versions (though, of course, the DC Retro Action Superheroes Brainiac figure was an original piece).
The graphic for the "Real Characters from the DC Universe" is very similar to the Challenge of the Super Friends title graphic.
The Hall of Justice is from the Super Powers Collection but is white rather than yellow to be in line with its appearance in Super Friends.
The use of Mister Freeze, Captain Cold, Icicle, and Chillblaine as a group of cold-themed villains is an ongoing theme from DC Comics seeing previous versions including a team-up by Captain Cold, Icicle, and Minister Blizzard in Justice League of America #139 (February 1977), the Cold Warriors in Justice League Adventures #12 (December 2002), the Ice Pack in Super Friends #16 (August 2009), and Icicle, Icicle Jr, Mr. Freeze, Captain Cold, and Killer Frost in Young Justice "Terrors".
- "‘Robot Chicken’ Guys Ready To Skewer DC Comics Superheroes For New Special". Deadline.com. April 25, 2012. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- Minovitz, Ethan (May 25, 2012). "AS Announces Largest Programming Schedule Ever". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved May 25, 2012.