|Genre(s)||Shoot 'em up|
The player remotely controls a robot tank in 2095. The mission is to locate enemy robot tanks rampaging across the countryside with radar, then destroy them with a cannon to stop them from reaching downtown Santa Clara, United States. The enemy is organized into squadrons of 12 tanks each. By defeating an enemy squadron, the player earns an additional reserve tank to the initial three, to a maximum of 12. The game ends when all of a player's tanks are destroyed.
As the player's tank is damaged, firepower and/or visual display capabilities are irreparably worsened. Enough damage will eventually destroy a tank. Combat can take place at any time of day or night (displayed on-screen), which adds additional challenge in tracking enemy combatants by radar alone. There is also variable weather conditions that can be fought including rain, snow, or fog (announced in a weather report each morning). Rain slows down the tank’s movements while snow causes the tank to slide on the ice, and fog severely impairing the tank’s vision.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2017)
- Encounter, a 1983 Atari 8-bit computer game with similar gameplay
- Hague, James. "The Giant List of Classic Game Programmers". Retrieved 11 December 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Atari 2600 VCS Robot Tank". Atarimania.com. Retrieved 11 December 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Robot Tank - The Atari Times". Ataritimes.com. Retrieved 11 December 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Robot Tank at Atari Mania