St. Bartholomew's Church, Roby
|Population||7,254 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Roby is a village in the Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley, Merseyside, England. It was previously administratively linked with its neighbour Huyton by the Huyton-with-Roby civil parish and Huyton with Roby Urban District. Like Huyton, Roby is effectively a dormitory village or suburb of the neighbouring City of Liverpool. At the 2001 Census, the population of Roby was 9,353, (4,511 males, 4,842 females). reducing to 7,254 at the 2011 Census. Roby is the location of the sixth form centre of Knowsley Community College.
Roby grew from a tenth-century Norse settlement named Rabil, meaning "boundary farm/village". Roby is therefore mentioned, as Rabil, in the Domesday Book of 1086. In 1351, it became part of the Barony of Widnes and subsequently merged into the Duchy of Lancaster.
In 1894 Roby was included in the Huyton with Roby Urban District. On the abolition of the administrative county of Lancashire in 1974, the urban district was also abolished and its former area was transferred to Merseyside to be combined with that of other districts to form the present-day metropolitan borough of Knowsley.
The area is located within a green belt area of Merseyside and partly consists of detached houses and private roads such as Wynwood Park. It has a golf course situated in nearby Bowring Park by the M62 motorway and Roby Road.
A new instated sign marks Roby by the Bowring Park Golf Course, including Roby Station and Roby Road within its location.
TV and radio
- The Boys from the Blackstuff episode "Jobs for the Boys" was part filmed in Woodlands Road, Roby
- Huyton with Roby parish boundaries, A Vision of Britain, archived from the original on 1 October 2007, retrieved 8 November 2006 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 2001 Census: Roby, Office for National Statistics, retrieved 29 May 2008 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Knowsley Ward population 2011". Retrieved 11 January 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Roby Origins and History, Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley, retrieved 20 August 2009 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Huyton with Roby UD unit history, A Vision of Britain, archived from the original on 30 September 2007, retrieved 8 November 2006 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Arnold-Baker, C. (1973), Local Government Act 1972
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roby, Merseyside.|