Robyn Adele Anderson
|Robyn Adele Anderson|
Robyn Adele Anderson in concert in 2015
|Birth name||Robyn Adele Anderson|
February 19, 1989|
Albany, New York, U.S.
|Associated acts||Postmodern Jukebox|
Robyn Adele Anderson (born February 19, 1989) is a vocalist based in New York City. She is a cast member and featured artist for Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox with over 200 million YouTube views on her music videos. She is credited with the band's breakthrough covers of "Thrift Shop" and "We Can't Stop" in 2013. Anderson also performed lead vocals for performances on Good Morning America (ABC) in 2013, and TEDx in 2014.
Early life and education
Robyn Adele Anderson was born in Albany, New York. She grew up in Glenmont, New York with her mother, father, and half-sister. She is of German, Dutch, English, Scottish, and Native American descent. She attended Bethlehem Central High School where she played clarinet in the Wind Ensemble and sang in several choral groups.
She graduated from Binghamton University in 2011 with a Bachelors of Arts degree in Political Science and Arabic and concentrations in Middle Eastern Studies and International Affairs. She studied at the University of Seville in Spain for a semester in 2009 and became a study-abroad peer adviser. Her academic accomplishments won her the Israel J. Rosefksy Language and Culture Scholarship and the Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence in 2011. She was also selected as the intern for Binghamton's Planet Library project, an internationalization effort.
From 2012 to 2015, Anderson worked for the ANSOB Center for Refugees, a non-profit organization in Astoria, NY that assists refugees in obtaining legal and social services.
In February 2013, Anderson began collaborating with American pianist and musical arranger Scott Bradlee. In 2013, Anderson's vocal contributions to the Postmodern Jukebox cover of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "Thrift Shop" (2012) helped the video receive one million views on YouTube in its first week and four million in its first year.
After serving as Postmodern Jukebox' primary vocalist, Anderson started a YouTube channel. As of May, 2018 her channel has over 324,000 subscribers and 26.8 million views, due in large part to several viral covers including the Gorillaz' "Clint Eastwood" which has over 6 million views. In January 2014, she became a staff writer for the online K-pop magazine KpopStarz. In 2015, she was cast as Lilyan Tashman in Cynthia von Buhler's Speakeasy Dollhouse: Ziegfeld's Midnight Frolic at the Liberty Theatre. In 2016, she played the part of Lucile in FlexCo.'s production of The Flying Doctor at the Central Booking Art Space in the Lower East Side. Occasionally she is a guest vocalist for the musical duo The Skivvies, composed of Lauren Molina and Nick Cearley.
Postmodern Jukebox videography
Anderson became a founding member of Postmodern Jukebox led by American pianist and arranger Scott Bradlee. In 2011, she sang a cover version of "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. The video received one million views on YouTube in its first week and four million in its first year.
|Video title||Date published||YouTube
|"We Can't Stop - 1950's Doo Wop Miley Cyrus Cover ft. Robyn Adele Anderson, The Tee - Tones"||Sep 3, 2013||16,662,932||feat. the Tee-Tones|
|"Thrift Shop (Vintage "Grandpa Style" Macklemore Cover)"||Feb 11, 2013||12,035,604|||
|"Burn - Vintage '60s Girl Group Ellie Goulding Cover with Flame-O-Phone"||Apr 8, 2014||12,314,175|
|"Timber - Vintage 1950's Doo Wop Pitbull / Ke$ha Cover"||Feb 3, 2014||9,844,626|
|"Careless Whisper - Vintage 1930's Jazz Wham! Cover ft. Dave Koz"||Feb 25, 2014||11,819,028|||
|"Blurred Lines - Vintage "Bluegrass Barn Dance" Robin Thicke Cover"||Oct 22, 2013||9,404,403|||
|"Call Me Maybe - Vintage Carly Rae Jepsen Cover [The Original Video]"||Jul 30, 2013||9,035,309|
|"Anaconda - Vintage Bluegrass Hoedown - Style Nicki Minaj Cover"||Sep 30, 2014||6,928,487|
|"Talk Dirty - Vintage Klezmer Jason Derulo Cover (with 2 Chainz Rap in Yiddish)"||Mar 25, 2014||7,109,926|
|"Gangsta's Paradise - Vintage 1920's Al Capone Style Coolio Cover ft. Robyn Adele Anderson"||Mar 10, 2015||8,006,215|
|"Say Something - Jazz / Soul A Great Big World Cover ft. Hudson Thames"||Apr 2, 2014||7,383,502||feat. Hudson Thames|
|"Wake Me Up - Mariachi Style Avicii / Aloe Blacc Cover en Español"||Dec 4, 2013||6,045,421|
|"Gentleman (Vintage 1920s Gatsby - Style Psy Cover)"||May 21, 2013||5,556,431|
|"Don't You Worry Child (Vintage 'Great Gatsby' Style Swedish House Mafia Cover)"||Apr 24, 2013||5,615,920|
|"Wiggle - Vintage 1920s Broadway Jason Derulo / Snoop Dogg Cover"||Jul 22, 2014||5,285,451|
|"Just (Tap) Dance - Vintage 1940's Jazz Lady Gaga Cover"||Nov 19, 2013||4,095,515|
|"Beauty And A Beat (Vintage 1940's Swing Justin Bieber / Nicki Minaj Cover)"||May 1, 2013||4,506,354|
|"Die Young - "Kesha Gone Country" Wild West Ke$ha Cover"||Feb 27, 2013||4,000,462|
|"Problem - Vintage '50s Doo-Wop Ariana Grande Cover ft. The Tee - Tones"||Sep 9, 2014||3,989,599||feat. the Tee-Tones|
|"Come and Get It - Vintage 1940s Jazz Selena Gomez Cover"||Aug 5, 2013||4,097,045|||
|"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Vintage 1912 Bioshock Infinite - Style Waltz Cover"||Aug 19, 2014||3,921,988|
|"Like a Prayer - Vintage 1940's Swing Madonna Cover"||May 13, 2014||3,780,235|
|"I Kissed A Girl - Vintage '50s Doo Wop Katy Perry Cover ft. Robyn Adele Anderson"||Jul 16, 2015||5,452,595|||
|"We Found Love - Vintage Jazz Rihanna / Calvin Harris Cover"||Apr 15, 2014||2,423611|
|"Birthday - Vintage Doo Wop / Soul Katy Perry Cover ft. The Tee - Tones"||Jun 3, 2014||1,729,222||feat. the Tee-Tones|
|"Summer - Vintage Latin Style Calvin Harris Cover"||Oct 21, 2014||1,650,080|
|"Paper Planes - Vintage 1940's Style MIA Cover ft. Robyn Adele Anderson"||Apr 16, 2015||1,628,201|
|"Hollaback Girl - Vintage Swing Gwen Stefani Cover ft. Robyn Adele Anderson"||Apr 14, 2016||1,020,733|
|Total view count:||February 3, 2017||over 175 million views|
|Totals do not include music videos where Anderson performed in a backup vocalist capacity|
- TEDx Talks: "A bizarro world of pop music | Postmodern Jukebox | TEDxFoggyBottom"
- Good Morning America (ABC)
As member of Postmodern Jukebox
- Introducing Postmodern Jukebox (2013)
- Twist is the New Twerk (2014)
- Clubbin' with Grandpa (2014)
- Selfies on Kodachrome (2015)
- Kevin Fallon (11 September 2013). "Doo-Wop 'We Can't Stop': Behind the Ridiculously Good Miley Cyrus Cover". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
Robyn's actually my girlfriend. We dated for about a year before I put her in one of the videos, too. "Thrift Shop" I wasn't even familiar with at the top, and she was one day just sort of singing it in jazz style. I thought, We should do video of this. And we did and posted it. It was her first video singing in public. And that has over 2 million views now.
- "Talking Tunes With Postmodern Jukebox". Pollstar. 1 May 2014. Archived from the original on 7 April 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
Also, the singers have a lot of good ideas. Robyn Adele Anderson, for instance, came up with the melody for "Thrift Shop." We worked together and she worked out a melody to put the rap into the ragtime melody I put behind it.
- "Doo-Wop 'We Can't Stop': Behind the Ridiculously Good Miley Cyrus Cover". The Daily Beast. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
The band made their breakthrough with the cover of British hip-hop artist Macklemore's Grammy Award-winning song "Thrift Shop," which was sung by vocalist Robyn Adele Anderson in the style of the '30s. The video of the cover received millions of YouTube hits and made the band's name heard by the masses.
- "YouTube phenomenon to perform in Ankara". Istanbul: Daily Sabah. 7 March 2016. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
Featuring Ella Fitzgerald by way of Adele vocals from singer Robyn Anderson, the rendition classes up the song without losing any of its let's-party appeal.
- Eric Felten (23 May 2013). "A Jazz Band Has the Pop Scene Covered". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "A bizarro world of pop music | Postmodern Jukebox | TEDxFoggyBottom". Youtube.com. TEDx Talks. 3 May 2014. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
Led by Scott Bradlee (Sleep No More, Bioshock Infinite) and featuring charismatic chanteuse Robyn Adele Anderson, Postmodern Jukebox brings Jazz Age and Old Hollywood sensibilities to today's most popular artists by transforming their hits into swing, hot jazz, ragtime, and doo wop. Since their inception in February of 2013, they've amassed over 27 million views on YouTube, spent several weeks on the Billboard Jazz charts, and landed a featured performance on ABC's Good Morning America.
- Darian Lusk (4 October 2013). "BU grad takes pop music back in time". Pipe Dream. Archived from the original on 29 March 2016. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
We're living in the age of the YouTube famous, a time when a music group with enough talent and originality can go viral overnight. That's the case with Postmodern Jukebox, a band that puts old-time twists on current pop songs. But they're more than a viral YouTube phenomenon; their lead singer is actually a Binghamton University graduate.
- "Chancellor's Awards for Student Excellence". binghamton.edu. 2011. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Dave Vose (Fall 2010). "Planet Library" (PDF). binghamton.edu. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Brody, Danielle (2017-12-15). "Astoria singer stars in viral vintage covers of modern hits with band Postmodern Jukebox". QNS.com. Archived from the original on 2017-12-18. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- Justin Colletti (8 January 2015). "Postmodern Jukebox: The Making of a Multi-Million View YouTube Music Channel". SonicScoop. Archived from the original on 9 April 2016. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Guns n' Roses' 'Sweet Child O' Mine' Like You've Never Heard It Before". Blabbermouth.net. 14 February 2014. Archived from the original on 9 April 2016. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
Postmodern Jukebox actually originated as a musical concept created by our bandleader/pianist Scott Bradlee," lead singer Robyn Adele Anderson told Pipe Dream last year. "He came up with the term some years ago when he first started covering songs in different genres. I loved the idea but didn't get involved until February of  when Scott first asked me to be in a video (our vintage 'Thrift Shop' cover) and we've continued to make videos together ever since.
- Kevin Fallon (11 September 2013). "Doo-Wop 'We Can't Stop': Behind the Ridiculously Good Miley Cyrus Cover". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
Robyn Adele Anderson, the woman singing these songs, is like jaw-droppingly good. Insanely good. Tell me all about her.
- "Postmodern Jukebox's Robyn Adele Anderson To Join KpopStarz Music Reviews Staff". KpopStarz. 29 January 2014. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- BWW News Desk (18 April 2015). "Speakeasy Dollhouse Transforms Times Square's Liberty Theater for ZIEGFELD'S MIDNIGHT FROLIC, Beginning Tonight". BroadwayWorld. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "Speakeasy Dollhouse - Robyn Adele Anderson". Speakeasy Dollhouse. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- BWW News Desk (5 April 2016). "flexCO to Present THE FLYING DOCTOR BY MOLIERE (OVER AND OVER AND OVER)". Broadway World. Archived from the original on 6 April 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
The cast is a dynamic mix of young actor/musicians and features Robyn Adele Anderson (from the acclaimed band Postmodern Jukebox); Kat Blackwood; Patrick Brady; Kathryn Fray (Pushing Daisy for MuSE); Jessica Greenwald; Sara Jecko; and Josh Wolonick (Othello at American Theatre of Actors).
- Matthew Blank (18 March 2015). "Photo Call: Phillipa Soo, Ephraim Sykes, Nikka Graff Lanzarone, Zak Resnick, Adam Kantor and More Bare It All With Skivvies". Playbill. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "Robyn Adele to Cover NSYNC, Nirvana, Amy Winehouse and More at Feinstein's/54 Below". BroadwayWorld.com. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Postmodern Jukebox feat. Robyn Adele Anderson". Youtube.com. Postmodern Jukebox. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Postmodern Jukebox". YouTube.com. Postmodern Jukebox. 2 April 2016. Archived from the original on April 3, 2016. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- Kristen Grennan (19 May 2013). "Exclusive Interview with Postmodern Jukebox's Robyn Adele Anderson". Sensible Reason. Archived from the original on 7 April 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- Chris Baker (23 May 2013). "Postmodern Jukebox goes viral with jazzy YouTube cover of "Thrift Shop"". Syracuse Media Group. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
Robyn Adele Anderson is the group's charismatic lead singer. An upstate native, she moved to New York City two years ago, hoping to start a career in music. "I wasn't sure I would ever end up singing in the real world," she said. "But now we've got millions of people watching us on YouTube." Anderson grew up in Delmar, N.Y., just outside of Albany. She studied political science at SUNY Binghamton and moved to New York City after graduating in 2011.
- Gary Black (30 September 2015). "Postmodern Jukebox, ranked". Fairbanks, Alaska: NewsMiner. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- Sarah Barness (23 September 2013). "This Is What 'Blurred Lines' Sounds Like As A Bluegrass Barn Dance". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
The catchiness is undeniable, and when you mix in a banjo with the incredible vocals of Robyn Adele Anderson, you gotta crack a (toothless) smile.
- Lindsey Robertson (17 July 2015). "Katy Perry's 'I Kissed A Girl' gets a doo-wop makeover". Mashable. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
Robyn Adele Anderson totally nails it in this Postmodern Jukebox cover of Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl." With some backup help from The Tee Tones, the band performs a totally killer doo-wop cover of the pop classic.
- "Scott Bradlee". AllMusic. Retrieved 18 May 2018.