Robynn "Swoopy" McCarthy is an American skeptic and podcaster. She is the producer and co-host, with Derek Colanduno, of the talk show Skepticality, the official biweekly podcast of The Skeptics Society's Skeptic magazine. She is the Director for the Podcasting fan track at Dragon*Con.
Swoopy has been the main researcher and writer for the Skepticality podcast since co-host Colanduno suffered an aneurysm-like brain Arteriovenous malformation in September 2005. Besides her scientific skepticism, she has an artistic side with interests including audio production, photography, and fine arts.
McCarthy is currently attending medical school and is employed full-time and has reduced her role in the show's production.
McCarthy is the namesake for the asteroid 106537 McCarthy. It was named after her by Jeff Medkeff because he felt Swoopy had "pioneered the new media of podcasting and put it to service for skeptical thinking."
- Ho, Rodney (July 19, 2005). "With 'podcasting,' anyone's a deejay". The Providence Journal. Providence, Rhode Island. Retrieved July 27, 2009.
- Skeptic Society: Podcast, retrieved July 27, 2009. (Masthead says: "The official podcast of SKEPTIC magazine").
- Dragon*Con Fan Tracks: Podcasting, Dragon*Con, April 23, 2009, archived from the original on June 28, 2008, retrieved July 27, 2009.
- Skepticality hosts, archived from the original on June 12, 2010, retrieved October 10, 2010.
- "About Us - Skepticality". Skepticality.
- "#159: Interview with Derek Colanduno & Swoopy". Slice of SciFi. Farpoint Media Network. May 3, 2008. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- Saunders, Richard (December 26, 2008), "#10 Derek and Swoopy - Murder for Entertainment and Profit", The Skeptic Zone, Australian Skeptics, retrieved August 8, 2009. (Interview from 02:42 to 28:15).
- McCarthy at the JPL Small-Body Database
- Medkeff, Jeff (March 25, 2008). "Asteroids Named For PZ Myers, Phil Plait, Rebecca Watson, Michael Stackpole". Blue Collar Scientist. Archived from the original on May 26, 2009. Retrieved August 6, 2009.
|This United States biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|