Roc (Dungeons & Dragons)
The roc was one of the earliest creatures introduced in the D&D game.
Original Dungeons & Dragons
The roc was one of the first monsters introduced in the earliest edition of the game, in the Dungeons & Dragons "white box" set (1974), where they were described as large and fierce birds that nest in mountains, and are hostile to creatures of Chaos and Neutrality.
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
The roc appears in the first edition Monster Manual (1977), where it is described as a huge eagle-like bird that inhabits the highest mountains, and preys upon large creatures such as cattle, horses, and elephants.
The moon roc appeared in the module Needle (1987).
Basic Dungeons & Dragons
This edition of the D&D game included its own version of the roc, which came in three sizes: the small roc, the large roc, and the giant roc. These all appeared in the Dungeons & Dragons Expert Set (1981 & 1983), and later in the Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia (1991).
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition
The roc appears in the Monster Manual for this edition (2000).
The chaos roc appeared in Monster Manual II (2002). The roc appears in the revised Monster Manual for the 3.5 edition (2003).
Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition
The roc appears in the Monster Manual for this edition (2008).
Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition
The roc appears in the Monster Manual for this edition (2014).
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2008)|
Rocs are birds so large that one can carry off an elephant.
A roc is always neutral in alignment, and generally prefers warm mountainous terrain. Rocs are usually solitary, but sometimes found in mated pairs.
- Gygax, Gary, and Dave Arneson. Dungeons & Dragons (3-Volume Set) (TSR, 1974)
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977)
- Gygax, Gary, and Dave Arneson , edited by Dave Cook. Dungeons & Dragons Expert Set (TSR, 1981)
- Gygax, Gary, and Dave Arneson , edited by Frank Mentzer. Dungeons & Dragons Set 2: Expert Rules (TSR, 1983)
- Allston, Aaron, Steven E. Schend, Jon Pickens, and Dori Watry. Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia (TSR, 1991)
- Cook, David, et al. Monstrous Compendium Volume Two (TSR, 1989)
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- Baas, Walter. Monstrous Compendium Dark Sun Appendix: Terrors of Athas (TSR, Inc., 1992)
- Cook, Monte, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2000)
- Bonny, Ed, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Skip Williams, and Steve Winter. Monster Manual II (Wizards of the Coast, 2002)
- Mearls, Mike, Stephen Schubert, and James Wyatt. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2008)
- Merals, Mike, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2014)