|Headquarters||New York, United States|
|Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter (CEO), Damon Dash|
|Products||Clothing, footwear, fragrance and fashion accessories|
|Revenue||$700 million (FY 2007)|
|Owner||Iconix Brand Group|
|Slogan||Rocawear 4 Life (1999-2005)
Da Roc (2005-present)
Rocawear is an American clothing retailer based in New York. It was created in 1999 by Roc-A-Fella Records co-founders Damon Dash and Jay-Z, and has had annual sales of $700 million. Rocawear expanded through licensing to sell clothes for children and juniors; socks and sandals; leather, suede, and fur outerwear; handbags and belts; lounge wear; big and tall; headwear; jewelry; and sunglasses; as well as co-branded product with Pro-Keds, State Property, and Team Roc.
R&B singer Ciara signed to be the new face of Rocawear in 2007 for the 'I Will Not Lose' campaign. Chris Brown, Memphis rap collective Three 6 Mafia, radio personality Ebro Darden, Toccara and Rich Boy were amongst the other celebrities who were part of the campaign.
In March 2007, Jay-Z sold the rights to the Rocawear brand to Iconix Brand Group for $204 million. Jay-Z will retain his stake in the company and will continue to oversee the marketing, licensing, and product development.
In March 2009, Rocawear launched its first social networking site, offering style news, music, fashion, and cultural connections.
In 2012, Rocawear was a €490 million clothing business.
- "Iconix to Buy Rocawear, Jay-Z's Clothing Line". New York Times. Reuters. 7 March 2007. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Jay-Z: Down To 98 Problems Yet?Y". MTV. 2007-02-07. Archived from the original on March 9, 2007.
- Adaso, Henry (18 April 2009). "Rocawear Dives into Social Networking Pool with Roc4Life". About.com Guide. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Gregory, Jason (4 August 2011). "Jay-Z Partners With Pharrell Williams Fashion Label Billionaire Boys Club". Gigwisw.com. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Chevalier, Michel (2012). Luxury Brand Management. Singapore: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-1-118-17176-9.