|Capital of Department||Rocha|
|• Intendant||Artigas Barrios|
|• Ruling party||Frente Amplio|
|• Total||10,551 km2 (4,074 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||6.5/km2 (17/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UYT (UTC-3)|
|ISO 3166 code||UY-RO|
Rocha (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈrotʃa]) is a department in the east of Uruguay. Its capital is the city of Rocha. It border Maldonado Department to its west, Lavalleja Department to its northwest, Treinta y Tres Department to its north, while to its northeast Laguna Merín forms part of it border with Brazil and at the south end of the lake it also borders the southernmost end of Brazil, with the city of Chuy "shared" between both countries, the border passing through its main commercial avenue.
Rocha has natural beauties like Cabo Polonio, Valizas, Santa Teresa National Park. It is well known for its beach resorts, like Punta del Diablo or La Esmeralda, which swell with visitors during the summer holidays. Inland, the primary economy of Rocha is based on large cattle ranches.
On 7 July 1880, the department of Rocha was formed from territory that had belonged to the department of Maldonado since the first division of the Republic in departments in 1819.
Population and Demographics
As of the census of 2011, Rocha Department had a population of 68,088 (33,269 male and 34,819 female) and 46,071 households.
Demographic data for Florida Department in 2010:
- Population growth rate: -0.082%
- Birth Rate: 14.04 births/1,000 people
- Death Rate: 10.44 deaths/1,000 people
- Average age: 35.0 (34.0 male, 36.0 female)
- Life Expectancy at Birth:
- Total population: 75.82 years
- Male: 72.17 years
- Female: 79.43 years
- Average per household income: 19,978 pesos/month
- Urban per capita income: 8,635 pesos/month
2010 Data Source:
Main Urban Centres
Population stated as per 2011 census. 
|City / Town||Population|
|La Aguada y Costa Azul||1,090|
Other towns and villages
Population stated as per 2011 census.
|Town / Village||Population|
|18 de Julio||977|
|Punta del Diablo||823|
|San Luis al Medio||598|
According to the 2011 census, Rocha department has an additional rural population of 4,146.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rocha Department.|
- Official site of the Department of Rocha - About the Department
- INE map of Rocha Department
- Tourism in Uruguay, Rocha
- Nuestra Terra, Colección Los Departamentos, Vol.10 "Rocha"