This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)
|Founded||Hamden, Connecticut, United States (1966 )|
|Founder||Kevin Roche and John Dinkeloo|
|Principals: Kevin Roche AIA FAIA.
Steuart Gray AIA. Wesley Kavanagh AIA.Directors: Eamon Roche, Stephen Metzger, Jerome Boryca, Thomas Frechette, Jason Hickey, and Marilyn Gillon.
|Services||Architecture, Building Services/MEP Engineering, Graphics, Interior Design, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Sustainable Design and Urban Design & Planning|
Number of employees
Roche and Dinkeloo both previously worked with Eero Saarinen. Almost all buildings built by Roche are with this firm, and they exhibit his particular architecture and aesthetic, although it has changed wildly throughout the past 40 years. Earlier buildings were characterized by massive facades and experimentation with exposed steel and concrete, while more recent buildings emphasize a clean, glassy look suggesting futuristic and green architecture. The firm also built in postmodern and historicist styles during the early 1990s.
"KRJDA is engaged in major projects throughout the United States, Europe and Asia and provides complete master planning, programming, architectural design, interior design, working drawings, specification and construction administration services. The firm has designed a variety of institutional and corporate projects including 38 corporate headquarters, three hotel/apartment buildings, eight museums, numerous research facilities, theaters, schools, factories, performing arts centers, houses and the Central Park Zoo in New York. For the past 42 years, he has been the architect for the master plan and expansion of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, designing all of its new wings and installing many of its collections."
The firm received the American Institute of Architects 1974 Architectural Firm Award and in 1995 the firm was the recipient of the American Institute of Architect's 25-Year Award for the Ford Foundation Headquarters in New York City. In 1982, Kevin Roche received the Pritzker Prize and in 1993, he received the AIA Gold Medal. In 2015 Kevin Roche received the George M. White Award from the American Architectural Foundation.
The firm relaunched in 2020 as Roche Modern under Director Jerry Boryca and Managing Director Eamon Roche. The firm is now based out of New Haven, CT.
KRJDA has completed over 200 projects in the US and internationally. These include 8 museums, 38 institutional and corporate headquarters, 7 research laboratories, conference and performing arts centers, theaters, and campus buildings for 6 separate universities. KRJDA maintains their office in Hamden, Connecticut.
A feature documentary about Kevin Roche and his work, called Kevin Roche: The Quiet Architect was released in 2017. It is directed by Irish filmmaker (ex-architecture student) Mark Noonan whose 2015 debut feature You're Ugly Too starred Aidan Gillen and was met with critical acclaim.
- 1968 - The Ford Foundation Center for Social Justice, New York, NY
- 1969 - Oakland Museum of California, Oakland, CA
- 1969 - Administration, Student Union & Physical Education Buildings, RIT, Rochester, NY
- 1969 - The Knights of Columbus Building Headquarters, New Haven, CT
- 1969 - United States Post Office, Columbus, IN
- 1969 - Aetna Life and Casualty Company Computer Headquarters, Hartford, CT
- 1971 - Power Center for the Performing Arts, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- 1973 - Center for the Arts, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT
- 1974 - Fine Arts Center, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA
- 1974 - The Pyramids (Indianapolis) College Life Insurance Company of America Headquarters, Indianapolis, IN
- 1974 - Worcester Plaza, Worcester, MA
- 1975 - One United Nations Plaza and ONE UN New York Hotel, New York, NY
- 1978 - John Deere World Headquarters West Office Building, Moline, IL
- 1979 - Denver Performing Arts Complex, Denver, CO
- 1982 - One Summit Square, Fort Wayne, IN
- 1982 - The Corporate Center, Danbury, CT
- 1982 - Moudy Visual Arts and Communication Building, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX
- 1983 - Two United Nations Plaza and ONE UN New York Hotel, New York, NY
- 1983 - General Foods Corporate Headquarters, Ryebrook, NY
- 1985 - Cummins Corporate Office Building, Columbus, IN
- 1985 - DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, Williamsburg, VA
- 1986 - Conoco Inc. Petroleum Headquarters, Houston, TX
- 1988 - Central Park Zoo, New York, NY
- 1988 - Bouygues World Headquarters, Saint-Quentin-Yvelines, France
- 1989 - Leo Burnett Building Company Headquarters, Chicago, IL
- 1990 - 750 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY
- 1990 - Metropolitano Office Building, Madrid, Spain
- 1992 - J.P. Morgan Tower, New York, NY
- 1993 - Corning Incorporated Corporate Headquarters, Corning, NY
- 1993 - Merck & Co. Inc. Headquarters, Whitehouse Station, NJ
- 1993 - Bank of America Plaza (Atlanta) GA
- 1993 - Borland International Corporate Headquarters, Scotts Valley, Ca
- 1993 - Tanjong and Binariang Headquarters/Menara Maxis, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 1994 - Pontiac Marina Millenia Tower and The Ritz-Carlton Millenia Singapore
- 1995 - Dai-ichi Life Headquarters/ Norinchukin Bank Headquarters, DN Tower 21, Tokyo, Japan
- 1997 - Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- 1997 - Shiodome City Center, Tokyo, Japan
- 1997 - Helen and Martin Kimmel Center for University Life/ Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, New York University, New York, NY
- 1997 - Lucent Technologies, Lisle, IL/Naperville, IL
- 2000 - Ciudad Grupo Santander, Madrid, Spain
- 2001 - Securities and Exchange Commission Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
- 2002 - Bouygues S.A. Holding Company Headquarters, Paris, France
- 2003 - 1101 New York Avenue, Washington, D.C.
- 2005 - Lafayette Tower, Washington, D.C.
- 2009 - David S. Ingalls Rink Restoration and Addition, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- 2010 - Convention Centre Dublin, Dublin, Ireland (2010)
- 2011 - New Galleries for the Art of the Arab Lands, Turkey, Iran, Central Asia, and Later South Asia at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- 2012 - American Painting Galleries in the American Wing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- 2014 - Renovations to United Nations Development Corporation
- 2018 - 200/250 Massachusetts Ave Capitol Crossing
- 2020 - Expansion at Museum of Jewish Heritage
- Goldberger, Paul (2019-03-03). "Kevin Roche, Architect Who Melded Bold With Elegant, Dies at 96 (Published 2019)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2021-01-08.
- http://www.krjda.com/about/[dead link]
- "Kevin Roche | The Pritzker Architecture Prize". www.pritzkerprize.com. Retrieved 2021-01-08.
- Pelkonen, Eeva-Lissa. Kevin Roche: Architecture As Environment. New Haven: Yale University Press. 2011.
- "Firm". Roche Modern. Retrieved 2022-03-22.
- "The Convention Centre Dublin - Dublin Docklands". www.ddda.ie. Archived from the original on 2011-11-27.
- "Home". capitolcrossingdc.com.
- Firm Website: Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo and Associates LLC