Rochester, Ulster County, New York
|Rochester, New York|
|• Total||88.8 sq mi (229.9 km2)|
|• Land||88.4 sq mi (229.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||535 ft (163 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979427|
The Town of Rochester is an interior town located near the center of Ulster County (Mid-Hudson region of New York). The northwest part of the town is in the Catskill Park.
US Route 209 passes across the town.
Mombaccus was the Dutch name for the area that became the Town of Rochester. It was first settled in 1672. The name Rochester began with the issuance of a land patent in 1703. It became a Town in 1788 and the formal establishment of the Town of Rochester occurred in 1803.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 88.8 square miles (230 km2), of which, 88.4 square miles (229 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (0.42%) is water.
Rochester lies in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,018 people, 2,688 households, and 1,830 families residing in the town. The population density was 79.4 people per square mile (30.6/km²). There were 3,750 housing units at an average density of 42.4 per square mile (16.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 93.42% White, 2.51% African American, 0.54% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.83% from other races, and 2.15% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.83% of the population.
There were 2,688 households out of which 34.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.0% were married couples living together, 11.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.9% were non-families. 24.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.4% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 11.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 102.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $43,071, and the median income for a family was $47,257. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $24,773 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,065. About 8.2% of families and 10.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.2% of those under age 18 and 7.2% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Rochester
- Accord – A hamlet that is the seat of town government.
- Alligerville – A hamlet near the east town line.
- Cherrytown – A hamlet northwest of Mombaccus.
- Fantinekill – A hamlet north of Kerhonkson and Pataukunk on Route 3.
- Granite – A hamlet south of Kerhonkson.
- Kerhonkson – A hamlet located at the west town line on US 209.
- Liebhart – A hamlet in the northern part of the town, east of Tabasco.
- Kyserike – A hamlet near the east town line, east of Alligerville.
- Mettacahonts – A hamlet north of Accord.
- Mill Hook – A hamlet northwest of Accord.
- Minniwaska – A hamlet near the south town line.
- Minnewaska State Park – A state park partly in the south part of Rochester.
- Mohonk Preserve – A nature preserve partially in the eastern part of the town. Part of Lake Mohonk is within the town also.
- Mombaccus – A hamlet north of Fantinekill on Route 3.
- Palentown – A hamlet in the northwest part of the town, inside the Catskill State Park.
- Pataukunk – A hamlet north of Kerhonkson on Route 3.
- Pine Bush – A location on the west town line north of Kerhonkson.
- Potterville – A hamlet by the town line in the northwest part of the Town and inside the Catskill State Park.
- Riggsville – A hamlet in the northwest part of the town, inside the Catskill State Park southwest of Palentown.
- St. Joseph – A hamlet southeast of Accord.
- Tabasco – A hamlet in the northern part of the town on Route 3.
- Whitfield – A hamlet northeast of Accord.
- Yagerville – A location south of Potterville, located in the Catskill State Park.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rochester, Ulster County, New York.|