Rochester Savings Bank
Rochester Savings Bank
Rochester Savings Bank, October 2012
|Location||40 Franklin St., Rochester, New York|
|Area||0.6 acres (0.24 ha)|
|Architect||McKim, Mead & White; Warner, J. Foster|
|Architectural style||Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals, Byzantine Revival|
|NRHP reference #||72000857|
|Added to NRHP||March 16, 1972|
Rochester Savings Bank is a historic bank building located at Rochester in Monroe County, New York. It is a four-story, "V" shaped structure, sheathed in Kato stone from Minnesota. It was designed by McKim, Mead and White and built in 1927 to house the Rochester Savings Bank. The building's banking room interior features murals painted by noted artist Ezra Winter.
In 2011, the building was acquired by a group called Rochester Historic Ventures, which then set out to seek occupants that would allow the building to return to public use.
In October 2012, Rochester Institute of Technology announced the creation of a Center for Urban Entrepreneurship, to be housed in the Rochester Savings Bank building. The university plans to ultimately spend $3–5 million on renovations, eventually resulting in a multidisciplinary center and multiuse venue for RIT students.
In 2016 after a lengthy renovation of the building Center for Urban Entrepreneurship by RIT opened in the building.
The bank was established in 1831 as the first savings (as opposed to commercial) bank west of Albany, New York. The bank moved to its own building on State Street in 1842, to a second on Main and Fitzhugh Streets in 1857, and to its final building in 1927.
1857 bank building on the corner of Main and Fitzhugh Streets, adjacent to the Rochester Free Academy
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Cultural Resource Information System (CRIS)" (Searchable database). New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2016-05-01. Note: This includes Louise A. Klinke (March 1971). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Rochester Savings Bank" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-05-01. and Accompanying three photographs
- Dougherty, Nate (October 22, 2012). "RIT to open entrepreneurship center downtown". Rochester Business Journal. Rochester, New York. Archived from the original on October 22, 2012. Retrieved October 22, 2012.
- "Whatever Happened to... Rochester Savings Bank?". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester, New York. October 18, 2014. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- McKelvey, Blake (January 1964). "Rochester Mayors Before the Civil War" (PDF). Rochester History. Rochester, New York: Rochester Public Library. XXVI (1): 19. OCLC 920399668. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- Brayer, Elizabeth (Winter 1990). "George Eastman at Home" (PDF). Rochester History. Rochester, New York: Rochester Public Library. LII (1): 4. OCLC 920399668. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rochester Savings Bank.|
- Monroe County (NY) Library System - Rochester Images - Rochester Savings Bank
- Center for Urban Entrepreneurship homepage
|This article about a historic property or district in Monroe County, New York, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|