Rochester railway station
|Rochester station building|
|Number of platforms||4|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1 March 1892|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Rochester from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Rochester railway station is on the Chatham Main Line in Rochester, Medway, South East England. The majority of services are provided by Southeastern, with a handful of peak services to and from Bedford operated by First Capital Connect.
It is approximately 110 yards (100 m) to the north of Rochester High Street, a short distance to the east of Star Hill. It has four platforms on two islands. The line is elevated and the platforms are accessed from a tunnel via stairways and lifts.
Plans have been unveiled to move the station 500 meters up the line, to a new £26m station on Corporation Street. This would link the station to the large Rochester Riverside housing development on the River Medway, and link the station closer to the high street.
The new station, expected to open in 2015, it will have longer platforms to allow 12 carriage trains to stop at Rochester instead of 10.
There will be an “integrated transport hub” to connect to buses, a drop-off point (for car and taxi passengers) and a £1.8m subway between the high street, the station and the housing development.
Planning proposals for a new £26m railway station in Rochester in Kent have been approved by Medway Council.
Typical off-peak frequencies in trains per hour are:
- 2 to London St Pancras via Ebbsfleet International
- 3 to London Victoria via the Medway Towns and Bromley South
- 2 to London Charing Cross via Dartford and Blackheath
- 3 to Gillingham (Kent)
- 2 to Faversham
- 2 to Dover Priory via Canterbury East and Ramsgate via Margate, dividing at Faversham
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
North Kent Line
Chatham Main Line
High Speed 1
Line and station closed
|London, Chatham and Dover Railway
Chatham Main Line
Line and station open
- "Network Rail unveils plans for new railway station in Rochester, UK". www.railway-technology.com. 9 April 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "Rochester station relocation goes before council". www.bbc.co.uk. 13 January 2013. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- Brown, Dan (8 April 2013). "First look at £26m Rochester railway station plan". www.kentonline.co.uk. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "Rochester station relocation goes before council". www.bbc.co.uk. 12 September 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Reinforced concrete base slab cast at new Rochester Station". www.gallagher-group.co.uk. 16 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.