Location within Cowley county
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
In 1877, the Florence, El Dorado, and Walnut Valley Railroad Company built a branch line from Florence to El Dorado, in 1881 it was extended to Douglass, and later to Arkansas City. The line was leased and operated by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The line from Florence to El Dorado was abandoned in 1942. The original branch line connected Florence, Burns, De Graff, El Dorado, Augusta, Douglass, Rock, Akron, Winfield, Arkansas City.
On Aug 24, 1978, the town was evacuated when a major oxidizer spill at a Titan II ICBM site (533-7) 2.5 miles south of the town. The spill resulted in the deaths of 2 Airmen that were based out of the 381st Strategic Missile Wing, McConnell AFB, approximately 20 miles away.
In 2010, the Keystone XL Pipeline was constructed about 2.5 miles west of Rock, north to south through Butler County, with much controversy over tax exemption and environmental concerns (if a leak ever occurs). A pumping station named Rock was built along the pipeline.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Rock, Kansas
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961, page 2". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Marion County Kansas : Past and Present; Sondra Van Meter; MB Publishing House; LCCN 72-92041; 344 pages; 1972.
- Railway Abandonment 1942
- Keystone Pipeline - Marion County Commission calls out Legislative Leadership on Pipeline Deal; April 18, 2010.
- Keystone Pipeline - TransCanada inspecting pipeline; December 10, 2010.
- History of Cowley County Kansas; D.A. Millington / E.P. Greer; Winfield Courier; 162 pages; 1901. (Download 16MB PDF eBook)
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook), (Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|This article about a location in Cowley County, Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|