|Single by Elvis Presley|
|from the album Blue Hawaii|
|A-side||"Can't Help Falling in Love"|
|Released||October 1, 1961|
|Format||7" vinyl 45|
|Recorded||March 23, 1961, Radio Recorders, Hollywood, California|
|Elvis Presley singles chronology|
The song was recorded on March 23, 1961 at Radio Recorders in Hollywood, California. The RCA Victor 45 single was released on October 1, 1961. Steve Sholes produced the studio recording session. The Jordanaires provided the backing vocals.
The song was published by Gladys Music, Inc., Elvis Presley's publishing company. It was written by Ben Weisman, Fred Wise, and Dolores Fuller, it is a genre mix of Hawaiian folk and rock and roll. It was the first song published by Fuller, who would eventually co-write a dozen songs for Presley.
A double A-sided release with "Can't Help Falling in Love", it peaked at No. 1 in the UK Singles Chart in February 1962, and spent four weeks at the chart summit. The song has appeared on several compilation albums due to its record sales and chart success such as the 1997 CD re-issue Elvis' Gold Records Volume 4 as a bonus track.
The recording peaked at no. 23 in the U.S. on the Billboard pop singles chart, no. 1 in Australia, no. 4 in Canada, and no. 3 in the UK when re-released in March, 2005 in a four week chart run.
Paul Rich, Werner Müller and The London Festival Orchestra & Chorus, Tulsa McLean, Pop Will Eat Itself, Martin Fontaine, Stephen Collins, Terry Buchwald, and Steven Pitman have also recorded the song.
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 64. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 134. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Rock-A-Doodle (1991). Soundtracks. IMDB.
- Song artist 2 - Elvis Presley.tsort.
- Rock-A-Hula Baby. Second Hand Songs.