Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare
|Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare|
Special Edition DVD cover
|Directed by||John Fasano|
|Produced by||Jon Mikl Thor|
|Written by||Jon Mikl Thor|
|Starring||Jon Mikl Thor
Deedee O'Malley (DiCandia)
|Music by||Jon Mikl Thor|
|Distributed by||Shapiro Entertainment (theatrical)
Academy Entertainment (VHS)
Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare (also known as The Edge of Hell) is a 1987 direct-to-video Canadian horror film directed by John Fasano, and stars heavy metal musician Jon Mikl Thor, Jillian Peri, and Teresa Simpson. The film's soundtrack was released to CD in 2006. Allmusic gave it a favorable review, writing that "if you are looking for one of the most outrageously bad exploitation/horror movie soundtracks, get your hands on this one pronto."
Recording some new music in an isolated farmhouse, the band Triton gets more than they bargained for when something horrifying stirs in the darkness. Eternal evil haunts this place and the band members start turning into demons from Hell itself! After a day of making music – and making love – this band is starting to break up… one by one… limb by limb. The band's lead singer, John (Jon-Mikl Thor) Triton, holds the key to defeating this horror once and for all – a secret that culminates in a battle between good and evil! Triton versus the Devil himself!
Production began in 1986 and the film had a budget of $100,000. It was shot in seven days. Originally titled The Edge of Hell, the filming was set to last ten days, but one of the producers had to shorten production due to a death in the family. The director used many friends as actors and the film was filmed in Ontario. The film had its title changed to help sell it in the markets.
In the years following its release the movie has received positive reviews over its campy nature, which multiple reviewers feel gives unintentional entertainment. Not Coming to a Theater Near You commented that the movie was "a cheap, incompetently rendered film, but it is not a deceptive one". Agony & Ecstasy shared similar opinions, writing: "The movie has absolutely everything you could possibly want from high-spirited trash: a menagerie of uniformly dodgy foam monsters, an especially dodgy foam Beelzebub in the climax, clumsy dialogue, bizarrely flat performances, an ending that straight-up makes no sense, fantastically misplaced ambition, and a scene where a blond with too much mascara and huge tits parades around in a shower."
- 10 of the Cheesiest Heavy Metal Horror Flicks of All Time!
- Jurek, Thom. "Rock N Roll Nightmare (review)". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Rock n Roll Nightmare (DVD)". synapse-films.com. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- "Film Review: Rock n Roll Nightmare (1987)". Horrornews.net. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare (review)". Not Coming to a Theater Near You. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "SUMMER OF BLOOD: I LOVE ROCK AND ROLL". Antagony & Ecstasy. 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Intercessor: Another Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare (2005)". Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Intercessor: Another Rock & Roll Nightmare (2005) - Dread Central". Dread Central. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Something Awful - Intercessor: Another Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare". somethingawful.com. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Intercessor: Another Rock and Roll Nightmare". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2016-01-16.