Pittsburgh Northeast Airport
|Pittsburgh Northeast Airport
(West Penn Airport) (Rock Airport)
|Airport type||Public use|
|Owner||Alaskan Property Management Co LLC|
|Serves||Pittsburgh / Tarentum, Pennsylvania|
|Location||Indiana Township, West Deer Township, Pennsylvania|
|Elevation AMSL||1,063 ft / 324 m|
Pittsburgh Northeast Airport (FAA LID: 9G1) is a privately owned, public use airport in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The airport is located 12 nautical miles (14 mi, 22 km) north-northeast of the central business district of Pittsburgh, near the boroughs of Tarentum and Springdale. The airport is located a few miles north of Pittsburgh Mills shopping mall.
This airport was included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013, which categorized it as a general aviation facility. It was originally known as West Penn Airport.
Facilities and aircraft
Pittsburgh Northeast Airport covers an area of 149 acres (60 ha) at an elevation of 1,063 feet (324 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 17/35 with an asphalt surface measuring 3,550 by 100 feet (1,082 x 30 m).
The property went through a major overhaul between 2000 and 2004, and can now accommodate larger aircraft. The airport's former runway, designated 2/20, had an asphalt surface measuring 2,645 by 36 feet (806 x 11 m).
For the 12-month period ending November 23, 2011, the airport had 2,982 aircraft operations, an average of 248 per month: 99% general aviation and 1% military. At that time there were 20 aircraft based at this airport: 95% single-engine and 5% multi-engine.
On May 11, 2011 shortly after 1:45pm two students, a science teacher, and a pilot attempted a takeoff on runway 35. They went off of the end of the runway and fell off of the bank.
- FAA Airport Master Record for 9G1 ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- "2009–2013 NPIAS Report, Appendix A: Part 4" (PDF, 1.61 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 15, 2008. External link in
- "9G1 – Rock Airport". FAA data republished by AirNav. February 16, 2006. Archived from the original on February 26, 2006.
- Rock Airport website
- Rock Airport at Pennsylvania DOT Bureau of Aviation
- Aerial image as of April 1993 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for 9G1, effective April 27, 2017
- Resources for this airport: