Rock Dust Light Star
|Rock Dust Light Star|
|Studio album by Jamiroquai|
|Released||1 November 2010 (UK)
24 April 2012 (US)
London, England, Thailand
|Label||Universal, Mercury (UK)
Executive Music Group (US)
|Producer||Charlie Russell and Brad Spence|
|Singles from Rock Dust Light Star|
Play.com Slipcase Cover
|Consequence of Sound||B|
Rock Dust Light Star is the seventh studio album released by British funk/acid jazz band Jamiroquai. The album was released on 1 November 2010 in the United Kingdom under Universal Music/Mercury Records and on 24 April 2012 in the United States under Executive Music Group.
The album was recorded at Jay Kay's home studio in Buckinghamshire, as well as Hook End Manor in Oxfordshire, and Karma Studios in Thailand. The album is written entirely by the band, and produced by first time collaborators Charlie Russell and Brad Spence. The band revealed that the musical style of the new album will be more centred on funk and rock, however, frontman Jay claimed that the tone and style of the album were hard for him to describe. Promotion of the album began in October 2010, with a press conference involving band members Jay Kay, Derrick McKenzie, Sola Akingbola, Matt Johnson, Paul Turner and Rob Harris. They announced that the group were to play two concerts, in Colombia and Brazil, to promote the album, before discussing plans for a possible world tour in 2011. In a review for The Daily Telegraph, the album was described as "blistering, poetic, meaty, reflective and inspiring".
Upon release, the album debuted at #7 on the UK Albums Chart with sales of less than 35,000 copies. As of December 2010, the album has sold 210,000 copies worldwide, less than half of the sales of their previous album, Dynamite. On 17 December 2010, the album was certified Gold in the UK for reaching sales of 100,000 copies. In March 2011, Jamiroquai announced plans for the speculated worldwide tour, starting with dates Hallenstadion in Zurich on 18 March 2011, and ending with two shows at the SECC in Glasgow on 20 April 2011. In June 2011, another string of tour dates were confirmed on the band's website for June and July.
Although a total of 30 songs were recorded for the album, according to Kay, only 15 tracks appeared across all editions of the album. A video for the album, posted just before release, showed recording of the tracks "I've Been Working" and "Super Highway"; however, none of these appeared on the final track listing. "All Mixed Up In You" appeared as a working title for 'Angeline', released as a bonus track in the Deluxe version of the album. Upon the album being made available to pre-order, several retail websites listed the standard album containing thirteen tracks, with track No. 8 called "Your Window Is A Crazy Television". However, upon the album appearing in stores, the track was nowhere to be seen. On 2 June 2011 a competition began to design artwork for a brand new Jamiroquai single, "Smile", an out-take from Rock Dust Light Star. On 9 June the winner of the competition was announced, and the song was made available for download via SoundCloud and iTunes.
|1.||"Rock Dust Light Star"||Jay Kay, Rob Harris, Matt Johnson||4:39|
|2.||"White Knuckle Ride"||Jay Kay, Matt Johnson||3:33|
|3.||"Smoke And Mirrors"||Jay Kay, Matt Johnson, Rob Harris||4:30|
|4.||"All Good In The Hood"||Jay Kay, Paul Turner, Rob Harris||3:35|
|5.||"Hurtin'"||Jay Kay, Rob Harris||4:15|
|6.||"Blue Skies"||Jay Kay, Matt Johnson||3:51|
|7.||"Lifeline"||Jay Kay, Matt Johnson, Rob Harris||4:39|
|8.||"She's A Fast Persuader"||Derrick McKenzie, Jay Kay, Matt Johnson, Paul Turner, Rob Harris, Sola Akingbola||5:16|
|9.||"Two Completely Different Things"||Jay Kay, Rob Harris||4:25|
|10.||"Goodbye To My Dancer"||Jay Kay, Matt Johnson, Rob Harris||4:06|
|11.||"Never Gonna Be Another"||Jay Kay, Matt Johnson||4:08|
|12.||"Hey Floyd"||Derrick McKenzie, Jay Kay, Matt Johnson, Paul Turner, Sola Akingbola||5:09|
- Japanese Bonus Track
- 13. "That's Not The Funk I Want" - 3:25
- Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks
- "All Good In The Hood" (Acoustic Version) - 3:39
- "Angeline" (Derrick McKenzie, Jay Kay, Rob Harris) - 3:29
- "Hang It Over" (Jay Kay, Rob Harris) - 4:50
- "Rock Dust Light Star" (Live) - 5:42
- "White Knuckle Ride" (Alan Braxe Remix) - 3:17
- "Blue Skies" (Fred Falke Remix) - 4:08
- Vocals: Jay Kay
- Drums: Derrick McKenzie
- Percussion: Sola Akingbola
- Guitar: Rob Harris
- Keyboards: Matt Johnson
- Bass: Paul Turner
- Background vocals: Hazel Fernandez & Valerie Etienne
- Saxes & flute: James Russell
- Saxes: Jim Corry
- Trumpet & flugel: Malcolm Strachan
- Strings: Simon Hale
Chart precession and succession
Fier by Nick & Simon
|Dutch Mega Chart number-one album
6 November 2010
The Gift by Susan Boyle
Les Petits Mouchoirs by Soundtrack
|French Digital Albums Chart number-one album
7 November 2010 – 14 November 2010
Some Kind of Trouble by James Blunt
- "Buy Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star (With Play.com Exclusive Slipcase)". Play.com. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- Matt Collar. "Rock Dust Light Star". AllMusic.
- "Jamiroquai – Rock Dust Light Star - Album Reviews - Consequence of Sound". Consequence of Sound.
- "Review: Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star - Sputnikmusic".
- Thomas H Green (29 October 2010). "Jamiroquai: Rock Dust Light Star, CD review". Telegraph.co.uk.
- "Jamiroquai". PopMatters.
- "Jamiroquai – Rock Dust Light Star". musicOMH.
- Huw Jones (1 November 2010). "Jamiroquai Rock Dust Light Star - Album Review - Slant Magazine". Slant Magazine.
- "Rock Dust Light Star: Jamiroquai". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Accueil - funkytivis jimdo page!". Funkytivi.jimdo.com. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Considera Jamiroquai freak a Lady Gaga". Milenio.com. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- Source: Penny Newton (2010-10-26). "Jamiroquai Coming To Oz!". MTV Australia. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Jamiroquai | News | Rock Dust Light Star and White Knuckle Ride week 1 UK (and worldwide) chart positions - 07 November 2010, 17:48 (GMT)". Funkin.com. 2010-11-07. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Jamiroquai | Music | Albums | Rock Dust Light Star". Funkin.com. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Jamiroquai Official Website / News". Jamiroquai.com. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Jamiroquai : Official Website : Home". Assets.umusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Rock Dust Light Star : Deluxe Version". Tower.jp. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Jamiroquai:: Discography ::". Universal-music.co.jp. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- Steffen Hung. "Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Steffen Hung. "Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star". ultratop.be. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star". ultratop.be. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "CANOE - JAM! Music SoundScan Charts". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Steffen Hung. "Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star". danishcharts.com. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Steffen Hung. "Jamiroquai - Rock Dust Light Star". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Billboard". Billboard.
- "Jamiroquai: Rock Dust Light Star" (in Finnish). IFPI Finland ry. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Tops : Shakira et la taupe dominent toujours" (in French). Thierry Cadet (Chartsinfrance.net). Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Bon Jovi auf Platz zwei der Charts - media control". Media-control.de. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "GfK Entertainment - Jamiroquai ein Bestseller bei den Downloads".
- "Rock Dust Light Star".
- "FIMI - Pagina non trovata - FIMI". FIMI.it.
- "Российские музыкальные чарты. Неделя 44 - 2010: Культура: Lenta.ru".
- "BBC - Radio 1 - Charts - The Official UK Top 40 Albums Chart". Radio 1.
- "Official Album Downloads Chart Top 100".
- "Jaaroverzichten – Album 2005" (ASP) (in German). Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Classement Albums - année 2010". Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique (in French). Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- "Hitparade.ch - Schweizer Jahreshitparade 2010" (ASP). Swiss Music Charts (in Swedish). Hung Medien. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Italian album certifications – Jamiroquai – Rock Dust Light Star" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 13 June 2012. Select Album e Compilation in the field Sezione. Enter Jamiroquai in the field Filtra. The certification will load automatically
- "Lenta". Ukmix. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community". Hung Medien. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "British album certifications – Jamiroquai – Rock Dust Light Star". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 13 June 2012. Enter Rock Dust Light Star in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search