Navdeep Singh (director)
|Born||1968 (age 48–49)|
|Occupation||Director, writer, advertisement maker|
He was born in Delhi to an Army officer and travelled across India when he was young. He graduated in Delhi and started an animation studio with a friend, one of the first in India. He studied film-making at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, graduating in 1997. He lived in the US for eight years and two years in London before moving back to India in 2000.
After graduating Singh directed commercials and music videos for UGround and Cognito in LA, and Great Guns in London. He then moved to Mumbai in 2001 and has directed a number of award winning commercials.
After a gap of seven years and two aborted films, his 2015 thriller film NH10, with Anushka Sharma's home production and in the lead, was commercially successful. The film is about honour killing and patriarchy. When it was screened to the censor board, half the members wanted to ban the film.
He is working on his next film, Kaneda, pronounced the way some rural Punjabis pronounce Canada. The film is about the rise and fall of a Punjabi gangster in Vancouver. It is being produced by director Aanand L. Rai.
He might also work on making the first ever movie adaptation of a graphic novel in India.
He married Madhavi Singh in 1989. He has two children. His daughter Nayantara Singh was born in 1993 and his son Rudraveer Singh was born in 1999.
- Published: Monday, September 17, 2007, 12:11 [IST] (2007-09-17). "Navdeep Singh speaks about his debut film". Filmibeat. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "best indian neo-noir films". 2017-02-22.
- "'NH10′ talks about friction between different Indias: Director Navdeep Singh". The Indian Express. 2015-02-16. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "Anushka Sharma to team up with 'NH 10' director Navdeep Singh". Deccanchronicle.com. 2015-04-25. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "Breathless In Bollywood". Tehelka.com. 5 July 2008. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "More to Manorama Six Feet ... than meets the eye". IBNLive. 22 September 2007. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Aanand L. Rai to produce Navdeep Singh's next film". Yahoo. Indo-Asian News Service. 25 September 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Navdeep Singh at the Internet Movie Database
|This biographical article related to film in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|