Rock of Ages Corporation
Rock of Ages Corporation is a granite quarrying and finishing company located in Graniteville, Vermont. It was founded in 1885. The company was one of the cemetery-related businesses profiled in the 2005 PBS documentary A Cemetery Special.
The company employs around 230 people, and the company made a profit of around $800,000 in 2009 on revenues of $21.6 million, up from a loss of more than $2 million in 2008.
On 16 September 2016, Polycor inc., of Quebec City, Quebec, Canada -a natural stone producer, announced the acquisition of Swenson Granite and Rock of Ages Corporation to become the largest producer of marble and granite in North America. This also includes the Canadian division of Rock of Ages Corporation, located in Stanstead, Quebec, along the Vermont and Quebec border.
ROAC maintains the world's largest "deep hole" granite quarry. The quarry is called the "E. L. Smith Quarry", and the Devonian Barre Granite is mined there. Granite was originally quarried using primitive techniques which implemented hand saws and explosive charges to blast away the "benches" of the quarry. Modern techniques have evolved to include diamond-tipped wire saws and water jets. Visitors to the Rock of Ages factory and gift shop can also watch quarriers in the quarry cutting the granite away from the quarry wall.
- United States Korean War Memorial, United Nations Memorial Cemetery, Busan, South Korea – a Frank Gaylord sculpture carved from Barre Granite and dedicated under the auspices of the American Battle Monuments Commission in 2013.
- "Swenson Granite to buy Rock of Ages in cash deal for $39 million". Vermont Business Magazine. 9 October 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- "Polycor acquires and merges with Swenson Granite and Rock of Ages". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Rock of Ages company sold". Burlington Free Press. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Canadian Company buys Vermont-based Rock of Ages, NH-based Swenson,". AP News. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Times Argus Online. "Rock of Ages sold to Canadian company". webcache.googleusercontent.com. Times Argus Online. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Marble and granite producer Polycor in Quebec purchases US rivals". PLANT. 2016-09-19. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Tours and Activities | Rock of Ages Corporation. Rockofages.com. Retrieved on 2014-04-12.
- "Dedication of the U.S. Korean War Memorial in Busan, South Korea on July 28". Events:. American Battle Monuments Commission. 22 July 2013. Archived from the original on 22 October 2013.
This is the third memorial commemorating the Korean War created by ABMC.
- Korean War Monument at Busan Archived 2013-10-29 at the Wayback Machine.
- Delcore, David (September 28, 2013). "Barre granite is new, unique memorial in South Korea". Vermont Today. Rutland Herald. Archived from the original on February 22, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rock of Ages Corporation.|