Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil
|Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil|
|Studio album by Volbeat|
|Released||February 26, 2007|
|Studio||Hansen Studios, Denmark|
|Singles from Rock The Rebel/Metal the Devil|
Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil is the second studio album by Danish heavy metal band Volbeat, released in 2007. The album debuted at #1 on the Danish Albums chart in 2007, making it Volbeat's first album to do so, as well as the being the first Metal album ever to debut atop the Danish charts in history.
The song "Mr. # Mrs. Ness" continues the story of Danny & Lucy, which began on the bands debut album with the tracks "Fire Song" and "Danny & Lucy (11 PM)". This story is continued on Volbeat's next album, Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood with the song "Mary Ann's Place" and is concluded on the band's newest album, Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie, with the song "You Will Know".
The track "The Garden's Tale" was released as a single in Denmark and proved to be a surprise hit for the band in their home country, staying on the Danish Charts for 18 straight weeks and peaking at #18. The music video for the song was also put into heavy rotation on MTV Denmark. Music Videos were also produced for the songs "Sad Man's Tongue" and "Radio Girl", but whether or not they were ever released as radio singles is unclear.
Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil received mostly positive reviews. Eric Schneider of Allmusic.com said "Frontman Michael Paulson sounds like a fusion of late-era Elvis and early Misfits Glenn Danzig, particularly on the propulsive “Radio Girl,” making for one of the most enjoyable European metal releases of the year." Scott Alisoglu of Blabbermouth.com also gave a positive review, saying "Comparatively speaking, "Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil" matches the quality songwriting and tough delivery of its predecessor, but does not necessarily better it. Considering that its predecessor was a grand album in its own right, this is not a bad thing." and gave the album a 7.5/10.
Kyle of Metalreviews.com was also positive in his review, saying "it (the album) brings out the best bits of groove metal, thrash metal, and hard rock, along with a dose of rockabilly and bright punk that gives the album a glow that is rarely ever heard in our pessimistic brand of music." Though the reviewer did criticize the songs "River Queen", "You Or Them" and "Radio Girl", saying that the latter was " simply too poppy to fit in properly here, even though the song itself is fairly inoffensive."
All tracks written by Michael Poulsen.
|1.||"The Human Instrument"||4:29|
|2.||"Mr. & Mrs. Ness"||3:47|
|3.||"The Garden's Tale" (featuring Johan Olsen of Magtens Korridorer)||4:51|
|4.||"Devil or the Blue Cat's Song"||3:15|
|5.||"Sad Man's Tongue"||3:05|
|8.||"A Moment Forever"||3:42|
|10.||"You or Them"||4:11|
Production and performance credits are adapted from the album liner notes.
- Michael Poulsen – vocals, guitar
- Franz "Hellboss" – guitar
- Thomas Bredahl – guitar (credited, but did not appear on this album)
- Anders Kjølholm – bass
- Jon Larsen – drums
- Guest musicians
- Johan Olsen (Magtens Korridorer) – Danish vocals on "The Garden's Tale"
- Additional musicians
- Anders Pedersen (Giant Sand) – lap steel guitar on "The Human Instrument" and "Sad Man's Tongue"
- Rod Sinclair – banjo and guitar solo on "Sad Man's Tongue"
- Martin Pagaard Wolff – acoustic guitar on "Sad Man's Tongue"
- Jacob Hansen – backing vocals on "River Queen" and "Soulweeper #2"
- Jacob Hansen – engineering, mixing, mastering
- Martin Pagaard Wolff – co-engineering
- Daniel Madsein – studio drum technician
- Artwork and photography
- Jester – artwork, design
- Jacob Dinesen – photography of Poulsen, Kjølholm and Larsen
- Manne Gersby – photography of "Hellboss"
- Axel Jusseit – photography of Volbeat
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||54|
|Danish Albums (Hitlisten)||1|
|Finnish Albums (Suomen virallinen lista)||14|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||76|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||41|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Platinum||30,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Alisoglu, Scott. "CD Reviews - Rock The Rebel / Metal The Devil". www.blabbermouth.net. Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- Volbeat. "Volbeat | History | Part 3". Volbeat. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie liner notes. p. 16.
This song (You Will Know) ends the story from past songs like Danny & Lucy (11 PM), Fire Song, Mr. And Mrs. Ness and Mary Ann's Place
- "The Gardens Tale Chart History - danishcharts.com".
- Mascot Records (2007-10-29), Volbeat - Sad Man's Tongue (Official Video), retrieved 2017-01-24
- Mascot Records (2007-07-03), Volbeat - Radio Girl (Official Video), retrieved 2017-01-24
- "Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil - Volbeat | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Rock The Rebel / Metal the Devil - VOLBEAT". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2007-03-17. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Volbeat - Rock the Rebel / Metal the Devil". www.metalreviews.com. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Austriancharts.at – Volbeat – Rock the Rebel / Metal the Devil" (in German). Hung Medien.
- "Danishcharts.com – Volbeat – Rock the Rebel / Metal the Devil". Hung Medien.
- "Volbeat: Rock the Rebel / Metal the Devil" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Longplay-Chartverfolgung at Musicline" (in German). Musicline.de. Phononet GmbH.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Volbeat – Rock the Rebel / Metal the Devil". Hung Medien.
- Staff writer(s); no by-line. "Guld og platin i november". ifpi.dk. IFPI Danmark. Retrieved March 1, 2015.