It was opened in 1902 by William Wainwright and originally extended to the beachfront boardwalk. Playland’s area was greatly truncated in the late-1930s by the construction of the Shore Front Parkway at the behest of New York City parks commissioner Robert Moses. It was closed after insurance premiums increased eightfold, from $50,000 in 1985 to $408,000 in 1986. A housing development now occupies Playland’s site.
- Fried, Joseph P. (24 April 1987). "After 86 Years, Rockaways Playland to Be Razed for 300 Condominiums" – via NYTimes.com.
- "Rockaways Playland, Queens NY". Defunct Parks. 26 September 2015.
- Playland photos
- 1980 aerial view of Playland
- Rockaways' Playland at the Roller Coaster DataBase
- Gottlock, Barbara and Wesley; Lost Amusement Parks of New York City; History Press (2013); p. 85-90 w/ additional images.